Disc Brake Conversion ????

I have aquired a nice 1937 Buick Special, that is in very good condition but not quite good enough to leave alone or restore to orignal. So this old Buick is going to have a little bit of a different life. Stock drive train is being replaced with a nail head and 4 speed. I do want to leave the suspension alone at least for right now. Everything in the suspension has been rebuilt or replaced, and I even used the hotrodding style and fabrication to add some real shocks to the front of this Buick. But those old brakes will just not do at all. So the Question: Does anyone know of a disc brake conversion for these early Buicks? If that is not possible, and I would be surprised if it was. Anyone know of a compatible donor car or system? Thanks guys

Gunny

If you don't find a disc brake set up , you can always put the brakes from a Century on ,and help yourself considerably. The Special has 1 3/4 wide linings, and the Century has 2 1/4, so you will pick up a lot of stopping power. I made this change on my 40 Super, and it really helped a lot. I also have a 37 coupe with a 455 , and I installed a Mustang 2 front end, with the big discs.

Hey Joe,

If it's not to much trouble would you mind telling me a little about your Mustang II set up. I keep reading that some folks have done this to these old Buicks but I can't seem to find the how of how they did it. All of the Mustang II suspension up grade folks don't seem to furnish anything for these old Buicks. Chevys yes, Ford yes, but they left out Buicks. Any help would be great/

Gunny

Guest Mike Pemberton

See parts for sale on new posting. Keep stock suspension with these kits. 5x5 12" rotors etc. All infor in parts for sale forum.

Mike Pemberton

Kits are for 55/56/57/58.

Gunny,

If you are going to hot rod this car talk to Fatman Fabrications in North Carolina. They have clips and the Mustang II parts for your car.

http://www.fatmanfab.com.

Dont forget with a nailhead you will need to replace you rear end too. Torque tubes dont like modern transmissions.

Check out the info on http://www/webrodder.com. It tells how to change a rear end in a 1951 Buick, but that will give you ideas about yours.

Have fun with this one and you should be able to sell the original drive train to help others.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike Pemberton

You do not need to clip your car. I just finished the kit for the 39 Special. I'll bet you my extra labor cost to do the kit that they are the same. If you want to send me your spindles on the upright with the steering arm, spindle washer and nut I will do the conversion for the stock price of the kits which is $185.00. The kit will include all the hardware, pictures, instructions, parts list, donor car and tech support for the conversion. This will allow you to not have to clip or modify your stock suspension if you chose not to. It will give you 5x5 bolt pattern as stock and 12" rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, hoses etc off of 4400lb mid 70's GM car all engineered by the factory to go together. The other parts you will need are on the list and will run you aprox. $550.00 at a good parts house. If you have any questions about the success of these kits I have some 80+ of them on the road as we speak. There is a Hot Rod Shop in Alamaba that buys my kits and packages them for sale on ebay at $820.00 plus shipping, plus ebay, plus pay pal. If you go that route it will end up costing you over a grand. I am hobbyist and started this venture as I have a 57 Olds that also had no brakes. This conversion is a lot easier than you think. Call me and I will fill you in.

Mike 510-501-6299 Toll free.