56 Special to 71 Skylark frame

xschx

I just bought a 56 buick special and it needs a new engine. With all the stuff I want to do with it like a new engine, transmission, power brakes etc...I was told it would be easier if I found a newer car and just took the body off of it and put the 56 body onto that frame that laready has the engine and all installed. I know the wheel base on the 56 Special is 122 inches. I found a 71 Skylark that the body rusted out on but runs great and i am wondering first what the wheel base on a 71 skylark is, and second exactly how hard it is to swap these bodies. I realize it will take some time and some cutting/modifications to the 56 body but I was told it was still quicker and easier than swapping the motor and transmission. You can email me direct at nugental@pweh.com as i don't get on here much to read the replies. thanks.

Skylarks in that general year model range had different wheelbases for 2drs and 4drs, being 112" and 116" respectively--not near close enough for you to use. The full size Buicks in '70 were 123.2" so that's not really close enough either as it needs to be an exact match so the rear wheels will be in the right place.<P>I suspect something in the Pontiac line would have something at 122" or maybe a pre-'86 LeSabre.<P>One of our chapter members rechassis-ied a '49 Roadmaster Riviera (he did save it from rusting away in a field) with a '79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille chassis, both were the same wheelbase. That generated the modern engine, transmission, "normal" rear axle, plus the power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a rear sway bar. The first time I saw it, at a distance it looked ok, with the only thing "not right" being the Cadillac Boranni wire wheels (I didn't notice the rear disc brake rotors at that time), but when I saw it go around a corner, I knew something was up with it. It was painted in a two tone combination, like a GM Dark Carmine Red (fenders and top) with a Medium Carmine Red on the rest of the body, looked nice.<P>When we questioned him about it, he said even the body mount pads were in pretty much the same location on the Cadillac frame as they were on the Buick body. He wanted something reliable and better than the original to drive and enjoy, but wanted the look to be the original '49 Roadmaster Riviera that he liked. With the modern chassis underneath, it also allowed the use of the appropriate tilt steering column.<P>Needless to say, this is NOT a driveway swap situation. <P>Do your homework on what GM cars use a 122" wheelbase, get out your tape measure, and have at it to the limit of your tolerance and /or financial resources and/or marital resousrces. If done correctly, it'll make a nice car, but don't even try unless you intend to do everything at least to stock GM OEM specs.<P>But, that's an awful lot of work just to get something that runs better than what you have now. You might be more able to put a larger Buick engine of that general vintage in there plus a later model automatic transmission too with the end result being what is termed a "Day Two" restoration. <P>Personally, I think I'd find a larger nailhead (maybe a 401?), rebuild it to a 9.0-9.5 compression ratio, find a 4bbl manifold, put a good undercar dual exhaust system (factory configuration) with about 2.25-2.5" pipes and Walker DynoMax mufflers, an upgraded ignition system, and top it off with a Holley throttle body fuel injection system (with oxygen sensors to make things ecologically friendly). That might necessitate the conversion of the electrical system to 12Volts if it isn't already there.<P>Then add in some chassis upgrades with some heavy duty shocks, polyurethane sway bar link bolt bushings, and whatever brake upgrades might be available for the existing drum brake system. Something to make it stop and handle better than stock. Some wider whitewall radials and full wheel covers would top things off pretty nicely.<P>Remember, that if you start hacking away at things and make it a modified street machine -type vehicle, it can affect the value should you get ready to sell it. Keeping it in pretty much the original configuration --AND ALL BUICK-- will always be worth more in the end and be more universally marketable.<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

thanks for the info. i have decide to just get a newer engine and matching tranny. Don't worry. I don't care for chevy all too much. Buick is my favorite car. It will be most likely a skylark motor. I have a 72 GS and that thing can toast many of chevy with no problem. So to the guy who is interested in the motor, keep a watch on the postings as when i do the switch i will be selling it. I don't mind the value of the car. I paid $860 for the special and the body is is great shape. I hate when i can't get a cool car because people want too much for them. I will base the price on what i put into it not what they are going for.....not like my old neighbor who bought a tempest for $2500 did nothing to it and won't sell it for under $5500. so when i get tired of it I will sell it for what i put into it and give another young guy a chance to own a great hot rod.

I have a 57 Buick Special on a 72 Electa chassis, and it fits well. The chassis was shortened right behind the front A arms and the body mounts lined right up. The 57 had very expensive front end components ( $200 ball joints) and the 72 chassis has much better brakes and handling.