64 power steering pump shaft seal needed.

Todd H

My thots on this- if the gearbox is worn enough to require replacing the shaft seal, it's probably worn out elsewhere too. You might get by with replacing the seal and then find that the shaft is pitted or scored and you still have the leak.<P>I'd spend the money and send it out for rebuilding. Steering is a safety component and a 37 year old box is bound to have some slop in it- from experience with a 64 Starfire and 64 Grand Prix (same box).<P>Several companies offer rebuild service. Power Steering Services Inc in MO is a reputable one. <A HREF="http://www.powersteering.com" TARGET=_blank>www.powersteering.com</A><P><BR> shocked.gif" border="0 My Bad! I see now it's the pump seal you want. They can be rebuilt too. Depending on which style pump you have you can get a reman through most any parts store, NAPA was able to get one for the GP, which is very similar to later GM pumps. Buick may use the other, larger pump like the Starfire. but I think some of the specilaty houses have those. You might be able to get a seal thru some of them too.<p>[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

yep i agree with rocketraider, NAPA should have one pump is Saginaw divison of GM. <BR>PS make sure you prod the parts guy a little it may not be in the computer they will have to use their books a lot of times they make a quick check (LAZY!!) and say not avilable when in fact it is!!