re: strange oil leak

well,i decided to try and relocate pcv to the right side valve cover instead of the intake.also am checking the relief valve,to see if it's sticking(only 180 miles on motor) also,my oil pressure gauge needle seems to "wiggle"moves back and forth when idling.(oil pressure is very good) is this a defective gauge? was also told that this leak could be a loose front oil galey plug.

i need help! i can be emailed at: jeffwecker81@hotmail.com

pcv was originally in the intake. i deleted the valley pan,used composite gaskets,and fabricated a baffle to shield the pcv from oil,as per TA performance directions.only leaked during hard driving,the right lower control arm and frame was oil covered.loses only a small amount of oil,usually less than a pint. should i replace my oil pressure gauge? the needle fluctuates a bit when idling,as i posted,only 180 miles on engine,presure is very good

I had a Pontiac Trans Am that had an oil leak through a defective oil pressure sensor. The car actually had two sensors (Chevy engine) on behind the distributor which I believe was connected to the idiot light, the other right above the oil filter fitting that was for the factory gauge. I kept finding oil on the driveway where I parked. I started the engine and had to lay down on the ground to see it, and sure enough, there was a small amount of oil leaking from the back of the sensor near where the wire fit on. I replaced it and had no problems.

You state you have good oil pressure, how do you know this? BTW, which engine do you have in the car?

well,ran engine,and viewed the suspected area,saw nothing.

the engine is a 68 430,bored.030,with TA performance street eliminator aluminum heads,converted to 455 oiling system, all clearances were within spec.

when shut off,the only place i see anything is a small drip area at the front oil pan lip.i have a block girdle on this engine also. pressure is being read by my oil pressure gauge.

Are you losing oil or consuming it? By that I mean is oil actually leaking, if so you should see it. If you're consuming oil that means it's being burned. I'm not clear what's happening here. If you're consuming oil it's either being sucked in through the PCV system, down the intake guides or up through the rings. It's not uncommon for an engine's oil pressure to drop at idle speed to about 10 psi sometimes as low as 8 psi. What you need to do is check it at about 2000 rpm (I don't know what the specifications are for that engine you need to check your service manual). In general, I don't trust factory gauges, if you can find one to test with it would be better. Also, don't be mislead by high pressure when the engine is first started and then drops off. When the oil is cold, it's thicker and pressure is high it's supposed to drop some once everything gets to normal operating temps.

• 1 month later...

I would look towards the oil pressure guage hook up in the block. Under a hard run, maybe the pressure is pushing oil through a loose fitting there?

Here's a scary thought for you.

My 95 Riv started to drop oil which I never even saw. At an idle, no problem. Bring it up to 1500 RPM and it was pouring out, straight down on the road. It was coming from the gasket between the timing chain cover and the block. The dealer claimed the original gaskets were re-worked to provide reinforcement in this area.

If during your rebuild you went with a higher pressure in the pump, you may have blown this gasket too. Take that look when the engine is idling faster. that may make the leak more visible.

JohnD