322 Crank interchange?

brad54

I have a chance to buy a freshly machined crank for a 322 for $75. The mains and rods are .10/.10

The guy says the box it's in says "Buick 322, '53-'56"

Can anybody tell me if these cranks interchange?! I know Buick changed the rods, in '55/'56, but it's at the wrist pin they were changed. I don't know if that would affect the way the cranks were balanced or not.

Thanks,

-Brad

All replacement cranks for 55 all series were the same part, but if used with standard tranny a pilot bearing adapter was needed. Anyhow the part number for 55 is: gr 0.646 pt 1318491 (this was not a new part number for 55 so it should be the same as 54). I donnot have 53 or 56 numbers available...maybe someone can check on that.

If you are considering buying that crank have the machine work checked. Also if you already have your replacement rods and pistons have it balanced.

Another thought: what kind of shape is your original crank in (a known quality). Most of the cranks I have seen only needed polishing and use standard bearings...these are very hard and durable steel. Also be sure you can get bearings of the proper size; I once had to have a crank ground 0.030 undersize because I could not find 0.010 undersize bearings at the time.

Let us know how this works out.

Willie

Brad

The 53 322 had a one piece pulley and ballancer and the 55 had seperate pulley. Buick may have changed the ballance when they changed pulley style? If I remember correctly the 53 322 was an odd ball in the combustion chambers also.