Does anyone know if a tire can be Whitewalled?

96roadmaster

Back when I was ten years old and used to go to the local classic car auctions with my dad, there was an older gentleman who used to show up and whitewalled tires on the car. I remember once he showed me how he actually added a strip of rubber to the tire and then applied white rubber to the strip, making it look original.

Now, I don't remember who the gentleman was, nor any contac information. Just a faint memory. Does anyone know where I can find such a service? I have an idea that I'm preparing for which will be ready in a few weeks and I'm going to need this service done.

I seem to recall, from another forum, that Diamondback Classics can or has done some sort of revulcanizing operation to "make" whitewall tires. In those earlier times, the tires usually had a layer of white rubber that was under the black rubber, inside the sidewalls themselves. Many of the "whitewallers" of later times had a special grinder that ground out the black rubber down to the white rubber that was under the sidewall surface. Kind of like a lathe of sorts. As late as the early 1980s, I saw a whitewaller at a new car dealership working on some new cars that had come equipped with blackwall tires.

Considering how much "meat" is NOT in the sidewalls of modern tires, it would seem that further grinding would not be a good situation, but "adding to" might be.

Hope this might help . . .

NTX5467

A few years ago I bought a new set of tires for one of my everyday drivers and soon after gouged the sidewall on a curb, exposing some white that was under a thin layer of black and exposing some black that was under the real whitewall. After some trimming of the loose pieces and masking I sprayed the damaged areas with appropriate black and white rattle-can paint made by SEM designed for refinishing vinyl and other plastics. After 80k the repair was still good. I have not tried this on a show car tire. Most tires would need to have the sidewall "literature" buffed off unless already smooth. This would probably not stand up to frequent scrubbing, but did stand up to the elements and commercial car washes. This would be worth a try to salvage a damage sidewall.

Willie

Diamondback does vulcanize whitewalls on tires. I bought a set of 1" ww radial tires from them for my 62 Electra a couple of years ago. They're fine.

5 years ago, or so, I had a local guy cut the sidewalls of a set of tires and make redline radials. He had a machine probably like what you saw at the dealership. He was in Indianapolis. He's no longer in his old location and I have no idea how to find him. Perhaps someone on this site will know of one of these shops in your area. I happen to like the Diamondback tire better than what this guy did though.

Jerry

Well actually this is something I'm going to do to my 96 Buick Roadmaster. I want to keep the stock look to the car but I need to increase my traction since the car has trouble hooking with the all the go-fast goodies.

I currently have 235/70-15 on the stock rims. I'm thinking of getting the rear rims widened to 8.5" and installing 275/60-15 (brand undecided). They will be the exact same diameter as the fronts. The only problem is that nobody makes a whitewall in that size, and I'm trying to avoid "painting" the sidewalls. I want to keep it looking stock, albeit it a bit more aggressive.

Sounds like 96 Roadmaster is going for some pretty aggressive performance. Given that, it might be a better idea to give up the whitewall for a performance rated mainline manufacturer blackwall tire. Both Coker and Diamondback classics offer wide white radial tires. I have a set of Diamondbacks on one car but it is not a car that would push the performance envelope with.

Between So Cal heat, freeway speeds and an intention to maximize performance, I think I would play it safe with the strongest/best performance tire I could find/afford. Those who want to play and are clueless enough to be fooled by whitewall tires will probably still be fooled by blackwalls. Those who pay attention will spot the difference in size/tread regardless of whitewall or lack thereof.

Buicks Rule, you are correct. The modifications I have waiting to get installed include a Ram Air intake, Bigger Mass Air, 52mm Throttle Body, 1.6 ratio roller rockers, long tube headers, catback exhaust, Eaton Limited Slip, 3.73 gears and a 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft, and stronger Lower Control Arms at the rear to control axle hop. I already have the computer programming. I'm hoping to get everything done by Christmas. I just need to find a few days worth of time to take the car to the shop for the major things.

I'm looking to run a solid mid 13's with all that stuff installed.

As for the tire brands, I am looking mainly at Goodyear Eagle GT2 or BFGoodrich Radial T/A. I'd really really prefer keeping the whitewall since in addition to keeping the stock look, I personally don't like the look of a 28" tall blackwall tire.

This is one fun car cool.gif