Buick Plans To Restore Portholes

BUICK RACER

Buick Plans To Restore Portholes

Designer says strong brand identification is expected to embellish some '07 models.

The Detroit News

By Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

October 20, 2004

BAY HARBOR - "But where are the portholes?" I asked Dennis W. Burke, chief designer of the 2005 Buick LaCrosse sedan, as we checked out a new LaCrosse in a parking lot here.

I had expected to see portholes, a classic Buick design cue, especially since they had been part of the 2000 Buick LaCrosse concept car.

Burke said that the portholes are coming, probably by the 2007 model year, and on several different types of Buicks, including SUVs.

"The portholes are a strong brand identifier that people still associate with Buick," Burke said.

That's an understatement.

"The Buick: A Complete History," by Terry B. Dunham and Lawrence R. Gustin, calls portholes "the most famous of all Buick identifications."

The Buick Bug racer of 1910 had four portholes in the hood. Later, the feature was popularized in production cars by Ned Nickles who was in charge of Buick styling in the 1940s. He put the chrome-ringed holes on the 1949 Roadmaster and Super models and called them "VentiPorts." The original VentiPorts served as engine compartment heat outlets. Later, they became cosmetic.

Nickles even cut holes in the hood of his 1948 Roadmaster convertible and behind them put amber lights attached to the distributor. The flashing lights evoked a powerful engine with flaming exhaust.

Portholes disappeared by the late 1960s.

Buick tried them on the front fenders of the LaCrosse during marketing focus groups and got a mixed reaction from consumers. Some thought they looked too cluttered and nonfunctional. Others liked the retro look. In general, consumers told Buick they prefer if the portholes look functional, even if they are not.

Portholes are not cheap. A set cost about $30, Burke said.

It might be a nice touch if the '07 portholes echo the past. Designers could put three on the right front fender and three on the left to indicate the car is a V-6 model. Likewise, a V-8 would get four portholes on one side and four on the other. And then customizers could tie them to the engine firing pattern for the ultimate effect.

I like the idea of portholes. I stopped by the local dealership today on my lunch break, in search of the elusive LaCrosse. None were found -- and it's likely to be another month before they reach West Coast dealers -- but there were three 2005 Park Avenues with the portholes. The portholes add a touch of class to the Park Avenue's appearance. Although the current Park Avenue has been around since '97, I continue to think it's a fine-looking car.

Love portholes - on the right car. smile.gif I may be in the minority but do not like how they look on the Park Av presently mad.gif and hope they look better when applied to other vehicles. To me the fender area where they put them on the PA is just too small an area and it is now cluttered. They are right about one thing though - they are a Buick statement (if, I suspect, you are old enough to remember when [ [color:\\"red\\"] <span style="font-style: italic">ouch! might not be what Buick is shooting for</span> [color:\\"black\\"] ] they were on cars all around you).

Along with the portholes, Buick should think about restoring the

2 door hardtop. They brought back the convertible and I think the

hardtop would bring back some of the younger group. I'm 69 and I love

the hardtop styling. I get lots of compliments on my 56 century

about the openess of the car. Guess how many kids can pile into

a 4 door hardtop to0 go to wendy's. Loren