Wrong Springs?

John Frank

I ordered a pair of front coil springs for my 1964 LeSabre from CARS. I ordered from them because they say they are made to "orginal specifications." The new springs showed up today and they are noticeably shorter than the springs I removed! Aproximately an inch and half shorter. It should be the other way around, I would think. Someone said that perhaps my car had a heavy duty suspension option. So I compared the new springs to the front coils from one of my parts cars that I know for sure has standard suspension and the same difference exists.<P>So what should I do now?

Several years ago I was in need of front springs for my wildcat. I located a hot line a 800 number to TRW, I talked for several minutes to a technician about my needs , I was told that original springs were not available but after checking specs on springs he was able to locate a spring of the correct height and tension to replace my original ones. Fit perfectly,and car was level. You might try an older parts store and get a tech number line.<BR>Good luck<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

If you get in the Specs area in the back of the TRW/Moog/or whatever Spring Catalog, you'll see that you can't always judge a spring by its "unloaded" length. That is a specification parameter, but there is also "checking" or "loaded" height plus wire diameter and such. The spec chart should also list the ride rate/deflection rate of the spring also. These springs might not be exactly what the factory used, but generally close.<P>Eaton spring is a current supplier of coil springs for vintage vehicles. They have a website and are listed in the GM Restoration Parts catalog. If you can find an old GM Buick parts book, run through the spring determination listings (for vehicle options and such) and find the part number you need, they can probably duplicate it to the factory blueprints (which they claim they have). Using the original GM part number and specs as the base reference point seems to be the only way to really get what the vehicle had on it originally. From there, you can compensate for the heavy duty suspension calibration if you desire. I suspect you can deal directly with them by phone or email also.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

I replaced all 4 springs on my 70 Skylark last fall. I ordered some from the local parts store, they came in way shorter than the originals, so I ordered some from a place that specializes in suspension parts. Their springs were way shorter too. I installed them and the car looks like it's at the factory height. Looks like NTX5467 is right, there are other things to consider than spring length. <P>When my car's on a lift the rear springs are loose. This made me nervous and I went round and round with the salesman I bought them from, and he said when the car's on the ground the suspension will never extend far enough for those springs to pop out. I sure hope he's right. shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>Brian

On a coil spring rear suspension, the "travel limiters" in the extension mode are the shock absorbers. In the compression mode, it's the bumpers for the rear axle.<P>If the shocks are correct, the springs should not really be loose enough to rattle around with the rear shocks fully extended. A machine shop associate mentioned one time that he had cut the coils on a '58 Impala to lower it (back then . . .). He said he had to be careful when going through dips and such as he cut too much off and the rear springs would pop out when the suspension extended on the other side of dips and such. Then he'd have to stop, go back and get the spring, and reinstall the spring when he got back to his shop.<P>Perhaps you could secure the springs to their mounting pads with some heater hose clamps or similar? Painting the clamps black to so they aren't that noticeable too?<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have had good luck with Coil Spring Specialties, as well.<P>I had probems with spring height and the solved them.<P>Scott Mich