To Phil & Rolf

Keith L.

Phil, sorry you were outbid on the heater couplings. I was watching and root'in for you. Also, to Rolf: I use to shop at your store in Burbank, corner of California St? Bought some "T" stuff from you. Years later, My Art Studio was right up the street at 2722 Burbank. Have a great weekend. Keith

Thanks for rootin' for me, Keith! I would have bid higher, but I wasn't sure that '40/'41 is the same as '39. Besides, I was updating my Webshots software at the time and my dial-up line got REALLY slow. The heat exchanger was already on my car, and I wanted to finish it up but a heater isn't a really hot (pardon the pun) item here in Texas, so I can put it on the back burner, so to speak.

I just finished installing turn signals (attachment) so I have a better chance to not get blown off the highway. With the new Columbia axle I can keep up with 70 mph traffic and even pass some, but changing lanes can be a bit scary. Most of these folks don't understand hand signals any more.

Hey Kieth, what a nice surpeise, a blast from the paat, can't even remember the cross street anymore, but it was at 3317 Burbank Blvd. My son still lives in Burbank, and is building my '41 Zephyr club coupe there, almost done, barring hangups, we may be able to give it it's maiden run to the GOF at Santa Maria in November, my 70th birthday is tomorrow, so that would be a nice present, be well, Rolf

Happy Birthday, Rolf!

The November LZOC event in Santa Maria isn't a GOF, it's a swap meet.

But a pretty neat one at that with lots of old friends and some really cool parts. (No ugly Chevy parts to sift through.)

Also, the World's best steak house is just down the road in Casmalia - YUM!!!

I was lucky enough to be there last year, and hope to do it again this year but I haven't been able to determine the date. If you know the date, let us know!

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car.

Well, thanks for the good wishes and the info Phil, I am sure there will be some info on the Santa Maria meet in the upcoming weeks, are you going to drive a Zephyr to it from Texas? Had a very pleasant birthday, hope the next 70 are as nice, Rolf

Well, it's tempting. The Zephyr is running REALLY well now with the Columbia. I used to drive flathead Fords across the country in my young and foolish days, so I could probably do it again. However, I've only driven the Zephyr on short (30 mile) trips so far and my confidence level isn't high enough to undertake a 3000+ mile trip in it. Besides, I'm a LOT older now and have been COMPLETELY spoiled by my '97 Town Car so that's the undisputed road trip car of choice these days!

Now, if I had one of those fancy new F350 Power Stroke diesel pickup trucks with a fifth wheel trailer, I MIGHT consider dragging the Zephyr along......

Wow. Happy belated b'day Rolf! We must have some strange link, because Sunday the 26th also was my birthday. I turned 59...9/26/45. Last Saturday, my wife convinced me to enter my '41 3 window in the local car show. Came in with third place Unfinished. Beat out by the Mopar and Late street rod stuff. Better than last year...came in third place motorcycle! (Ran out of catagories).

I'm now going to complain a little, cause I'm old now and can do that. Years ago when they had a car show one didn't have to pay to be in it. Your car was the attraction that brought in the crowd. Now the car owners and the public pay. Also they ( the judges) don't want to offend anyone so everybody gets a trophy! 200 cars, 200 trophies. I would have gotten a trophy if I enter the most popular division, '70's street! All I had to do is wait around till the judging and find out where I finally ended. That's how I came up with 3rd place motorcycle...and the reason my wife had to prod me to enter this year. But all things said and done, I'm glad I went. Met some really nice people, got to talk cars, found people interested in Zephyrs ...and that's what it's all about anyway.

I turned 71 on Sept 14. It looks like all the good guys were born in September!

I too, have a problem with paying to let people look at my car! And I don't want any dust-collecting trophies to clutter up my mantle. Just owning the car is trophy enough for me, and it's a LOT prettier than some useless piece of gold plated plastic! If you enter a car show, you have to stay until the end. When I've seen everything I want to see, it's time for me to GO! (Senior Attention Deficit Disorder, I guess).

The last car show I entered was the LCOC Western National Meet in 1972. I entered my '47 Continental and got second place. (Out of only two entries in my category and didn't stick around for the trophy).

There you have MY two cents worth!

By the way Rolf, the Ford Lightening is indeed a VERY impressive performer. It's a "toy" truck though. For a REAL truck, an F350 Power Stroke is tough to beat. About 75% of the "work" trucks around here are Ford F350's, mostly diesels. Dodge is next, but there are very few Chevy "work" trucks. Lots of Chevy "toy" trucks, though.

Yeah, a friend of mine uses a 350 Diesel to pull his humoungous car trailer full of Pierce Arrows, works well, delivered the '48 Connie Coupe we sold to a guy in Las Vegas with it, loose V-12, tons of loose parts, no problem for that big boy, but they are bulky and awkward, my favorite truck is still the 1941 1/2 ton Ford, proving that a truck can be pretty, and it could still haul a lot too-