Ebay Completed Auction, 1954 Buick Skylark -- It's Back!

Centurion

During a recent conversation with a Canadian friend who owns a 1954 Skylark, I mentioned that a red 1954 Skylark had been offered on Ebay within the last one-to-two months. The Skylark caught my interest because I had met its owner earlier this year, and it's a car I had always hoped to see. The owner's father had owned a Buick dealership here in Washington State, and Buick Division had reportedly "given" this red '54 Skylark to the dealership back in 1954. The current owner was a teenage boy -- not old enough to drive -- back in 1954, and his father gave him the '54 Skylark in 1956.

My Canadian friend had seen the Skylark firsthand, and noted that there were several aspects of the car that seemed unique relative to other '54 Skylarks. This had prompted questions regarding the purported originality of the car and the description furnished on Ebay.

Each of us attempted to retrieve this vehicle auction under the "completed auctions" feature of Ebay, and found that we were unable to retrieve any items more than 1 - 2 weeks old. At other times, I've found that I was able to retrieve completed auction items that went much farther back. Has anyone else experienced difficulty retrieving completed auction data from Ebay? Do any of you remember this Skylark auction? Did anyone happen to note the Ebay item number?

Thanks for your help.

Guest imported_moopar2ya2

Since Ebay has started handling so many transaction, the time you can search back has become shorter. likely a data storage issue. Also people often take their pictures off of 3rd part sites once the item has sold, so you may find the listing but no link to the pictures.

For what it's worth, I have found that if I "save" an auction in "My eBay - Items I'm Watching" - that I can retrieve it for at least a few months after it ends. Sometimes, depending on the software used by the Seller to store the pictures, they will disappear, as noted above - but the auction text remains retrievable even then.

Don W.

Ohio

• 1 month later...

The '54 Skylark is on Ebay once again. I was amazed to see that the bids zoomed from $1,000 to more than $40,000 during the course of the first day's bidding.

This one appears to have a very high reserve.

You might enjoy the very fascinating history of this particular car. The photos also show a number of wheel opening moldings that I have never observed on another '54 Skylark. The original owner claims that the car was delivered this way, but I have strong doubts that this is the case. The moldings are not only unique; they also distract from the beauty and integrity of Buick's original design. Regardless of whether the car is 100% correct, it is definitely 100% spectacular!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;category=6472

Guest my3buicks

It is a beauty - I sure would be afraid to make the claim that this is the only one owner non restored 54 Skylark in exsistance. Probably is, but... Proof? I remember a striking original baby blue 54 Skylark on ebay form your neck of the woods Brian that probably could have been in that catagofy also before it sold - who knows what is still lurking our there.

Keith, that blue one was my dream car! I still think about it often.

You are entirely correct. I remain constantly amazed by the number of fine, unrestored original cars that have turned up during recent years. This has certainly been the case with the '59 Buicks, which I've tried to monitor closely.

Guys

This car is anything but original, it has the incorrect carpet, the dash has 55 Century engine turning which the Skylarks did not have, the door panels have 55 Roadmaster trim, it has a replaced exhaust (dual exhaust which Buick did not offer till 56), has airbags in the springs. It is missing the sun visors (convertible ONLY), it has autronic eye (Buick didn't offer this in 54 or 55 or 56), It has a 56 Roadmaster six way power seat (never offered in 54 or 55), It has tensioner bars from an Oldsmobile under the hood. All of these modifications need a lot of work to put in, so most of the car has been touched. It may very well be a one owner car, but it is not an untouched orininal. Anyone buying this at this price will be greatly disappointed.

FireballV8, thanks for providing some details. My Canadian friend who owns a '54 Skylark had indicated that there was a great deal about this car that is incorrect, but I did not have any specific information other than the 8-track tape player and the add-on wheel opening moldings. I appreciate your expertise!

We had originally tried to locate the first auction for this car because my friend had concerns that the vehicle was being presented as original and authentic. You've confirmed that the Ebay description of the vehicle as an original car is not accurate.