Vintage Buick Stock Cars

brad54

I just saw a '53 Studebaker Commander prepped for the La Carrera Pan American road race. Being easily swayed and having no will power (but big dreams), it got me to wondering about Buick's racing past--specifically, Stock Car racing from the early '50s.

Chevy put out a famous pamphlet on prepping a '57 Chevy for stock car racing. Did Buick ever do such a thing? I saw an old poster once advertising Saturday Night Stock Car races and it had a '54 Buick on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for ANY source on vintage Buick racing? Old magazines they've seen that detailed the construction of a Pan Am or Stock car? Whatever.

Mr. Earl sent me pics of a crew of 5 '54 Supers for the '54 Pan Am race. Anything like that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

-Brad

Hmmm!

Not at all sure if there was much in the way of racing Buicks back in the very early days of stock car racing, frankly--surely there were a few, as it seems like just about every make got driven on the early tracks.

However, none of the "name" drivers, AFIK, drove Buicks until the early 1980's. The era of the 1950's is truly the "Dark Ages" of stock car racing, be it Nascar, AAA/USAC, or any other body, simply because on a national scope, stock car racing was considered by the press, and perhaps even most racing fans back then to be at least somewhat "bush-league" stuff. Seldom, beyond the Southeastern states, was there any significant coverage of Nascar, for example, beyond anything sensational.

Even pictures of the early stockers are hard to find. Certainly races were photographed, but relatively few pictures have yet to escape out of people's personal photo albums, and most of the race pictures seem to have been newspaper photo's, more showing the action than any detailed coverage of any of the cars.

As I said above, there were many pictures taken of Hudsons (they owned the oval tracks in 51-54), and the 55-56 Chrysler 300's (they took over dominance where Hudson left off), and the 49-52 Oldsmobile 88's (both fastbacks and 2dr sedans), which were Hudson's major challenger then.

Chevrolet is the only GM division to have seriously gone racing in the 1950's, to the point of actually commissioning racing versions of their cars to be built (the legendary 1957 Black Widows). Chevy's "Stock Car Racing Guide" book was put out as part of their drive to win the performance wars in 1957, showing the modifications made to the 1957 150 Utility Sedan, and listing the various Chevrolet parts and components used beyond the normal factory passenger car. Hudson did a very similar thing as well, but I don't believe Hudson ever got quite as deep into it as did Chevy in '57. I've never even heard of Buick or Oldsmobile doing anything like that, and certainly, Pontiac, with their anemic 6 & straight 8 flathead engines probably never even bothered either.

Your best bet, it would seem to me, would be to search out historical stuff on at least a couple of the older superspeedways, Charlotte (now Lowe's Motor Speedway) and of course, the granddaddy of them all, Darlington. Perhaps contacting the museum at Darlington International Speedway might bring up some leads. Another place in Nascar to try would certainly be the Museum of Speed at Daytona, and also the museum at Talladega.

For AAA/USAC (AAA through the 1955 season, USAC from 1956 to 1979), try USAC (United States Auto Club) in Speedway Indiana. Although stockers aren't at all his area of expertise/interest, a phone call to Donald Davidson at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway could result in a lead or two (as Davidson was the USAC Historian for about 30 years or so, before joining IMS' staff).

Hope this at least helps a bit!

Art

Buicks were popular with some drivers in 54-56, there was the M1 which I think one of the Flock brothers drove for a while. They had a few wins. The Pontiac became more the hot ticket in '57 and won the championship in '62. Buicks were seen again starting in about 1977 when they made it legal to run a Chevy motor in them, and teams would choose the most aerodynamic body for the speedways.

The straight-8 cars I am sure were run without looking it up, but I don't think they did well. But Lee Petty had some wins in a 6-cylinder Plymouth, so anything is possible.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Brad, put your glasses on. Them are Century's, not Supers. Here attached is the scene at the Pan Am races. I'm wanting to hear more about this too.

Guest imported_MrEarl

and some more of 55 Century's running at the Wisconsin State Fair Speedway. Les Snow #45, Bill Kearney #14 and Pat Flaherty #96. And I guess you know the story of Fireball Roberts being stripped of of his win at Daytona 500 in 55 after Chrysler protested and they checked Roberts engine and determined the valves had been ground. They ended up giving the win to a Chrysler 300. I believe that was the case. I was only 5 years old at the time so my memory is a little fuzzy wink.gif

Oh well never mind, I can't get the photos down to a size that will load.

Here's one for you...

does anyone know how the Fireball V-8 engine got it's name. Answer tommorow night if no one comes up with it.... (Brad, you keep quiet on this. grin.gif)

Guest Dynaflo2

Lamar,

I'll take a stab at your riddle. I will guess that the Fireball V-8's name carried over from the Fireball Straight 8. It got its name from the fact that the shape of the top of the piston supposedly created a whirl of fuel and air mixture as it entered the cylinder, creating a tiny tornado and when it ignited, it was a BALL OF FIRE!! giving a more complete burn and MORE POWER!!! I recall something along those lines in an ad for the '51 Buicks. Am I right? Do I win a prize?

Guest imported_MrEarl

Congrats John, you got it !! Your prize is on it's way. A one year subscription of Ford News Monthly.

I believe a 51 ad is where I learned that tid bit also.

And here's another tid-bit of Buick Stock Car history for Brad54.

In 1950 there were 17 Buicks entered in the first Carrera Panamerican Mexico, better known as the "Mexican Road Race of 1950". The Buicks ranged in age from a 1938 model to eitht 1950 cars, but only six of the 17 managed to complete the entire race, and only three of these were within the allocated time limit. The primary reason for Buicks's poor showing was not due to its speed or handling capabilities, but the fact that all Buick entries were driven by amateur drivers. The professional drivers, who set all of the records, were in cars other than Buick, primarily Lincolns, Cadilacs, Oldsmobiles, Packards and Alfa Romeos.(credit Seventy Years of Buick-George Dammann)

And here's a couple of links to the race and one for the Studebaker. So Brad, can we count on you to save face for Buick and ready your 54 Special for the next race. Yea, I saw the Stude at the Year One Show yesterday and it does get one wanting to paint some ads and letters on their Roadmaster and head to Mexico.

http://www.autoinstruments.com/stude.htm

http://www.classics.com/panam50.html

I was told at one time that the indy cars used the 348 straight eight

for a number of years due to the stress they could take. Anyone know about that?

I know my 41 with 2 carbs could take chevy's and most everything except the

flat head v-8 fords in a quarter mile. My two cents. Loren

Guest 52buick72r

Brad54,

I am actually compiling some historical data for an article in my chapters news letter, about Buicks in NASCAR. I have been a NASCAR fan for the better part of 25 years, and am always looking into its past, present and furture.

I can't help you with the Mexican Road races, and AAA races and such, however I can give you a quick background (without my notes) from the early NASCAR days.

In 1949, the first NASCAR season with the Stickly Stock division (now Nextel Cup), there were 8 races that season, 210 total starting positions, of which Buicks held 18, their best finish being 3rd.

In quick reference to an early reply about the early days being the "dark ages", I would personally disagree, as they were truely stock cars, not the technical cookie cutter racers that they are now. That aside, actually several "larger names" in racing at the time ran in Buicks at one point or another. In the 1st race in 1949, Lee Petty rolled his 1948 Buick during the race. The funny thing was, it was a borrowed car. A Petty never drove in a Buick again until Richard and Kyle in 1981.

In 1955, Buick earned it's first win, at the beach in Daytona, with Fireball Roberts behind the M1 owned by a guy named Fish. However, the car was disqualified due to an illegal carburetor (Fish was in the carb business, ironically). Fireball drove the M1 several times in 1955, but never won in a Buick in 1955. Buck Baker did however, credited with giving Buick its first NASCAR win in 1955. Herb Thomas won later that same year, also in a Buick (Herb Thomas was most famous for driving to several wins in Hudsons in the early 50's).

A GREAT source for NASCAR data is a 5 volume series by Greg Fielding entitled something like "The History of Stock Car Racing" (the name escapes me this morning) and inside the covers you'll find several surprising photo's of the early NASCAR Buicks.

I may be able to help you out with some more data if interested, but you may also want to check ebay ... every now and then I see an early program that may contain some interesting Buick racing history. Feel free to send me an email.

Hope this helps a bit.....

Matt

The comments in this post concerning Buick's early racing efforts are really interesting. I have had an interest in the subject for some 45 years now and perhaps I can add a little to the discussion.

Buick first entered an organized race in 1904 when Buick's first Chief Engineer, Walter Marr, entered a Buick in a AAA race at Grose Point, Michigan. Marr finished third. From that point on until mid 1908, Buick ran in a number of races and did very well. But in 1908 the Buick team really got organized and showed up to race at the first US Grand Prize race held in Savannah, Georgia. The Buick team used a series of race cars there, some of which had secretly been converted to under slung suspensions in the box car on the way to the track! Shortly after Savannah, Marr presented the Buick team with a series of race cars that he had personally engineered and built. Those race cars allowed Buick to dominate racing in this country for the better part of two years.

There were Buick powered straight 8s at Indianapolis. In the early 1930s Red Shaffer became friends with the folks at Buick and engineered a series of Indianapolis cars that did relatively well at Indy. Shafer also won the Elgin Road Race with one of his Buick powered machines.

In the mid 1930s the Ford flathead V-8s were absolutely dominating virtually all stock block racing here. The first race on Daytona Beach was held in 1936. Buick paced the race with a 1936 Special Convertible Coupe supplied by the local Buick dealer, but that was about it for Buick in that race. Ford V-8s dominated on Daytona Beach from 1936 - 1939 taking as many as the top 10 positions in some races.

In the first beach race held in 1940, Joe Littlejohn showed up with a 1938 Century Coupe and set a new qualifying record. Unfortunately he lost two minutes in a pit stop and finished the race in second place behind a Ford flathead V-8.

In the second 1940 Daytona Beach Race, Bill France, the future founder of NASCAR not only won the race with a 1939 Buick Century Sedan, he lapped the entire field with the exception of Littlejohn who was back again with his '38 Century. The two Buicks were so dominant in that race, and the Ford V-8 folks were so upset, that two rules were quickly passed that in effect legislated Buick right off the beach until after World War II.

The 1955 Century driven by Fireball Roberts in the 1955 Beach race is one of the most unfortunate stories to come off the beach. Roberts dominated the entire race and won the race going away, but was disqualified the day after the race was won because grinder marks were found on the ends of the push rods in his engine. There was absolutely no intent on anyone's part to circumvent the rules. The push rods were checked with a height gauge when the engine was built, and then a grinder was used (unfortunately) to bring all the push rods to the same length.

The 1955 M-1 Buick Fireball drove was not disqualified due to a Fish Carburetor or because the valves had been ground. Bob Fish was one of the sponsors on the car and wanted to run his Fish carburetor in the race, but Bill France wouldn't let him. The car used a stock Buick carburetor during the race.

One of the Flock brothers didn't drive the M-1 Buick, Tim Flock was driving the second place Chrysler 300 sponsored by Carl Kiekhaefer. The Kiekhaefer Chrysler was awarded first place after Fireball was disqualified.

There was a 1950 Roadmaster entered and driven in several NASCAR events by the Buick dealer in Deland, Florida, J.C. Van Landingham. Van Landingham was also one of the sponsors on the M-1 Buick along with Bob Fish. It did quite well until Van Landingham wrecked and was badly injured.

Beginning in 1936 with the Century models, Buick was an extremely strong performer on the street. Some historians point to the 1936 Century models as the first muscle cars because of their light bodies and big engines.

Someone mentioned that V-8 Ford flatheads were beating his straight eight Buick in the quarter mile. I wonder if his Buick was maybe a small series car?

I drag raced a lot around Michigan, Ohio and Indiana from the mid 1950s to the mid 1960s. There weren't a whole lot of straight eight Buicks running back then, but those that were running were consistent winners. Roberta has posted above a link to a photo showing a 1937 Buick Century at the starting line. The photo was taken in 1957 during the time trials at a drag strip located at New Baltimore, Michigan. This car was a consistent winner at New Baltimore. And Ford V-8 flatheads while they were pretty good running cars, were not often beating the Straight 8 big series Buicks in the lower stock classes, at least not at the tracks I was at.

During my last year in college, I found a 1941 Roadmaster Sport Coupe, dual carburetors and all, in a junk yard. I eventually got it running, and went off to the drag races. The car ran extremely well in the lower stock classes and usually took a trophy.

I have found early Buick racing to be fascinating. In the February 1996 Bugle I had an article entitled "The Night Before - The Morning After" telling the story of Fireball's 1955 Century. I also had an article in the Bugle, "The Day The Flatheads Died" describing Bill France's win with the 1939 Century, and an article entitled "Something Wicked This Way Comes - The Buick Race Cars From Hell." The Buick Race Cars From Hell details Buick's early turn of the century racing efforts.

The Buick engine and the Buick name have meant strong performance right from the beginning of the company. It?s what got a lot of us first interested in Buick!

Terry Dunham - BCA #217

Guest 52buick72r

Terry,

Thanks for clarifying my brain on the M1 / Fireball Roberts Daytona dq deal. I'm somewhat embarrassed by my lack of NASCAR recall in the old brain, I should know these things better.

By the way, I finally remembered the title of the now 5 volume series ... "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" (initially written prior to NASCAR's 50th anniv.). There were several photo's of 40's/50's racing Buicks in it, including a nice shot of a 1950, and the '55 M1, both at speed and on the starting line.

Good luck Brad on finding more details....

Matt

Guest imported_MrEarl

Terry,

So glad to see your post!!! and thanks for getting the stories straight for us. I knew there was some grinding involved somewhere.

We'd love to hear more from you on this forum.

In case any of you may not know who Terry is... he along with Lawrence Gustin are the authors of the book "The BUICK a Complete History". Literally the Buick Bible. I stood in line almost two hours in Flint last year for the chance of a hand shake and book signing by Terry.

I have most of the old Bugles and will be opening up the boxes tonight to re read these stories you wrote.

Again, let us hear some archival trivia every once in a while. We'd love it.

• 5 months later...

I'd be very interested in reading you story about Fireball Roberts in the Daytona Race driving the 1955 Buick. I have a'54 Buick Century and I'm toying with the idea of dressing it up with graphics to make it look like an M-1 Fish sponsored Buick running at Daytona. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Guest Silver Arrow

Hey Gents, dont forget Elmo Langley's 1959 Ratus Walters / Cafe Burgandy #10 '59 Buick raced in five stock car races including the 1959 Daytona Fireball 250. Fins never looked so fast!

Al Casby

silverarrow@att.net

1959 LeSabre 4dr Flattop

1959 Invicta Estate Wagon

1959 Electra 225 Convertible

1959 Comet-Buick Panoramic Landau Hearse-Ambulance