AC Smell, intakes and Lysol?

tjenkins

I have used Lysol before in the air intake and the results were just OK. What you want to do is turn your A/C control to ECOM. Turn fan control to MAX. Open the hood and you will see the air intake right below the wipers. You might want to mask any painted surface. Lysol, in some cases, is not too kind to paint. With Fans running spray till the can is empty. That should help the smell to some extent. Also another way, however I have not tried this, is to remove the fan control module above the evaporator core. Once removed spray in the opening. The Evaporator is right there. If you remove the module, cleaning of the core would get rid of the odor too. As I recall a number of members here have sprayed Mean Green in the opening, then hosed out the area. Be sure you don't get too carried away with the hose, otherwise you will soak the carpets.

Tom , did you see the note I posted on the air flow problem?

I would pull the fan control module and even consider pulling the blower motor.

I had a thick layer of moist lent covering the evaporator and needed a vacumn to clean it.

There were post attached suggesting flushing it with water and you could use something like lysol when you finish. It was suggested the front of the car be slightly down hill to avoid the possibility of getting water on the inside.

I think you will like the results.

The "crud"that collects on the evaporator is often caused by a leak in the A/C system and the compressor oil coats the evaporator.

I used a citrus base brake cleaner first , then simple green and lots of hot water.

Do it outside away from thing with the nose pointing downward if possible.

The A/C will smell better and work som much better you won't believe it.

Yes, in fact I've already pulled the 'heat sink', and sprayed both simple green and lysol inside, followed by a lot of water. The core didn't look that dirty, but we'll see. Had to take the brace off to get to the back screw though.

Have it drying out now... and will advise in a day or two.

I wonder if I should remove the top air intake screens and do the same thing there (but without the water)?

Thanks ALL!

--Tom