buyer beware

Recently I responded to an ad in the AACA publication for license plate restoration.<BR>I mailed my plates to Paul Rawden, with my check for $80 and a clearly written instruction regarding color. The plates were returned in the original color (orange and black) and Mr. "Raw Deal" admitted that he had not read the instruction. He refused to honor the implied contract which should be to satisfy the customer. There are similar services available - choose someone other than Paul Rawden.

Guest BruceW

I've never dealt with Paul Rawden so I can't say one way or the other on his business ethics. But here is a possibility.<P>I don't know about the laws in your locale, but the year of manufacture plates here must be the original color that it was issued. Perhaps this is a restraint preventing him from using a different color combination.<BR>Just a thought...<BR>

i don't think painting them the wrong colors would be illegal. using them might be. it seems the person doing the work should have read the instructions and if he did not want to paint the plates in the requested colors, he should have refused and returned the plates. it appears he did not read the instructions. therefore he should do them over in the requested colors or return the mans money. ignorance is no excuse and not reading instructions sort of fits that.

Michigan has a year of manufacture plate law and I have numerous friends plus a couple of my cars that have non-original colors on the plates and it has even been taken to court and it is legal. The numbers are what is registered ,not the color. Other states may look at it differently ,but it's OK in MIch.

If these are California plates the state requires that they be the original color for the year of issue. If they are to be used on a vehicle which is driven of the highway in California. frown.giffrown.gif

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

This is third hand information, but I had a friend tell me that in Florida, they don't allow a repaint even if it is the original color. The man in question had to mail his plate to Tallahassee for it to be inspected and it was rejected as a repaint. My guess is that someone misinterpreted a regulation against painting a different color to mean no repaint at all. You'd think that your plate could be inspected at the local level, rather than having to send it to the capital.

I am in the process of registering an original 1911 Jacksonville plate(tag) to my under restoration 1911 Ford Torpedo roadster. Florida did not issue plates during that year,but certain counties/cities did.In speaking with Tallahassee,I have learned that the plate cannot be restored,and must be certified by motor vehicles as an original!If accepted by the state,the charge will be $32.10,very fair.However,because this is my 3rd antique car,I must pay additional $100.00 for having TOO MANY CARS! Will be traveling to Talahassee next week for the typical DMV hassel. regards,and Happy New Year,Mike

Special to Mike Bartlett: Have you just given me my first REAL reason not to move to Florida? I've got 9 cars!!! Of course, that includes the moderns. Tell me more about this restrictive law. That's almost as bad as "personal property taxes", i.e. "car taxes" were and are in Virginia. With the help of many Va. enthusiasts we got the tax off of antique cars, but it took a new Governor to start getting it off the moderns.

Guest 70 Electra

Ditto for what "OldGuy" said. I'm in Michigan and have seen YOM's painted to match or contrast with the car and it doesn't seem to matter. Think about it--when an officer "calls in" a plate number, he doesn't report the color--just the number!<P>Of course it could "technically" be illegal, but so are blue dots in your taillights and I've never seen anyone busted for that either.<P>I have friends in many states and have heard of many different rules. Some states do not allow ANY repaint, while others DO require original colors. I guess it's in the small print on the YOM application.<P>None of this matters, however, since it's the owner of the plate (and car) that is responsible for any broken laws. I agree with the poor fella that got screwed out of his money---the plate should have been painted per the instructions, or "refused" by the vendor. <P>I've had several instances over the years where I've requested some "special" non-standard work like this and the same thing happens! Seems that even if you tell 'em on the phone and enclose a note, it's no guarantee that you'll get what you asked for!! It's a shame.

As a clarification - I am aware of the varying laws. I wanted plates to co-ordinate with my 1932 Auburn - for shows, etc. I consider my check and letter in response to his adv as a contract. Others should know that this is the way he does business.

I noticed that Mr. Rawden is listed in the ALPCA (Automobile License Plate Collctors Association) membership roster. He is listed as ALPCA member #2519, so it appears he's been a long-time member (I'm ALPCA member #8546, having joined in the fall of 1999). ALPCA is a long-standing, well-respected organization. Perhaps you could appeal to ALPCA to help "referee" this dispute? Their web site address is: <A HREF="http://www.alpca.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.alpca.org/</A> <P>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT