1966 Buick Special DeLuxe

Giftman

I am planning on making a road trip to this weekend to have a look-see at an original owner 1966 2 door Special Deluxe. Equipped with a 401, buckets/console, documents, 109k original, AC, Cream color with a black vinyl top and interior. I currently own a 67 Olds and do not know too much on the rarity, collectibility, and value of a car like this if it pans out. Can anyone please help me out with any available info and or opinions to ponder on my 4 hour drive. Thanks in advance.

BW

The following numbers should help you. These are the first 3 digits of the VIN.

All Gran Sports V-8 401 will begin with 446

All regular Skylark V-8 300 or 340 will begin with 444

All regular Skylark V-6 will begin 443

All Special DeLuxe V-8 300 or 340 will begin 436

All Special DeLuxe V-6 will begin 435

All Special standard V-8 300 or 340 will begin 434

All Special standard V-6 will begin 433

This information is from the 66 Buick Chassis Service Manual.

Guest my3buicks

An additional note for the V6 versions, if the same holds true as uin 1967. The V6 models could be ordered with the V8 option so the VIN Tag on the Driver Front Door piller will differ from the Vin Tag under the hood. Example: My 1967 Special Deluxe Hardtop Coupe is a model 3517(as shown on the driver door piller and window sticker), but my Grandfather ordered the optional V8 so under the hood it is a 3617. I wouldn't be surprised if this held true for the 66 Special/Skylark models also.

Ugh. Well guys, let me say I appreciate all the help...Ever have that sick feeling in your stomach when one gets away? Phoned in this morning before I set out and low and behold someone swooped in last night with cash. It was an all original 66 Skylark GS, original owner fully documented numbers matching car. Sold for 7k. I guess some things aren't meant to be.

Thanks again.

BW

Guest my3buicks

I saw the car pictured on the V8 Buick Website as seen at purchase time and then cleaned up when he got it home, it is an outstanding original and was a STEAL at that money.

my3-

Thanks for that info...the ride home from my relatives will be quite a bit longer now. Sure would have looked nice in my garage next to my 67 442 with the exact same color combos. At least it went to a good home. Once again, thanks to all on this board for the info..the next time a classic Buick comes along I will be better armed and ready to pounce.

BW