chassis swap

Have been given a suggestion by a fellow member in order to ultimately be happy with my 57 buick which I want to big block and posi, he has suggested simply making a chassis swap in order to get disk brakes, posi, and 455 engine. It does seem to make good sense, but what all does this entail, what is the proper donor car, etc.... I would love to hear from anyone who has made this swap and what to look for and look out for.

you are correct, I did my homework today and found out that the 71-75 Riv. is the exact same length at 122" but am still searching for the width measurement, found nothing online . My 57 buick has a rear width of 59.5 from center of tread to center of tread on rear. Since these cars have O offset that will be a plenty accurate number for measuring for a donor, as I will be running aftermarket rims I can play with the offset #s to get things right. So if any other readers of the thread have a 71-75 Riviera would be kind enough to measure there car center of tread to center of tread in the rear (if you have stock wheel specs) I would appreciate a response. Thanks

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are walking a very dangerous and EXPENSIVE path, bud.

I've done this. There are significant positives: Engine/Tranny, Brakes, Suspension, are all easy.

The problem is mounting the body onto the chassis. Email me and I will give you some more details. I put my 51 Special on a 73 Riv Chassis. I will send you pics.

pwilkens@herc.com </div></div>

Why not keep it on the forum as I'm sure there are lots of us that would like to hear about this.

hey, sorry it took so long to reply, I am building a new house right now and have been extremely busy. You said that it would be a very expensive path, how so? please elaborate on this for me. I don't doubt it, but I would like to know the specifics. I seemed a heck of a lot less expensive that trying to modernize my 57 chassis. Please fill me in.