POWER WINDOW PROBLEM

reattadudes

I've been working on a customer's car, and it has the strangest power window problem I've ever seen. both windows (1990 coupe) act as if they are binding, and will only move a few inches at a time before the circuit breaker (apparently) shuts off the power. I've changed the circuit breaker, and even removed one of the vent windows, thinking that perhaps it was in too tight. I've also lubricated all the guides/tracks, and the window at this point has no tension on it at all. what's throwing me here is that both sides are doing the same thing.

has anyone ever had this problem, or perhaps has some insight into what is going on? I thought there might be a power window relay, but the circuit breaker seems to be the only thing there is.

thanks,

Mike

The breaker is inside the power window motor and the only cure is to replace the motor. Coupla inches, wait...coupla inches, wait... is typical failure mode of OEM motors.

Two at once just meams the owner was too lazy to bother about the first one. Had to replace boths fronts in our 90 Bonneville (at different times) - same symptom.

To isolate the problem, when one window stops, immediately try the other. If the other window works, then the main breaker is ok.

To verify the problem is after (downstream) from the switch, you can use your battery charger to power the window motor (from the connector at the switch). I have used a fuse holder in line and tried various sizes of fuses to see which blows...a more scientific method is to put a ammeter in the line to see the current draw.

I have not worked on a Reatta window motor but found older GM cars had a problem with grease getting into the brushes and causing problems. I would be happy to investigate a bad window motor if someone wants to send one to me.