crankshaft bolt

vanzcorp

Those can be murder! The first one I removed was with the engine mounted to a stand. I had to have a very large friend hold the engine while I levered it off with a half inch drive breaker bar with four feet of pipe as a cheater on it! I had to lock the crankshaft in place by inserting a big screw driver through where the flex plate mounts. I have a 1/2" air wrench, but it wasn't stout enough to get the job done. I believe the torque value on them is 130 lbft or more.

thanks guys! I've been trying the same thing as you sgt, but only i used a johnson bar and i was actually standing on it trying to make it turn. I held onto the rafters of my garage to make sure i didnt fall wink.gif. The thing didn't budge at all and one of the rear wheels of the stand was actually lifting off the ground. I'm gonna try that impact wrench idea, if i can find one.

thanks,

Ryan

Guest Albert

A lot of times i end up using the torch ((oxy/Acetylene)propane does not work) on the bolt to heat it up then while hot use an impact gun on them to get them to come loose.