Rally Wheel Rim codes

BigFella

I remember reading the article in the Bugle but I cannot find the issue now. Does anyone have that issue or the rim codes from the years for the rally wheels handy? What year(s) did code JJ handle? I'm looking at a set and the gent says they are 15x6 JJ code...for the big Buicks which is what I need...Any assistance is appreciated.

Guest John Chapman

BigFella,

The 'JJ' code refers only to the bead profile ('J' profile outer and inner, in this case) of the wheel and isn't part of a wheel code. The 'J' profile provides two mating surfaces for the tire bead, providing enhanced casing retention.

I think I have the Bugle(s?) with that article. I'll check.

JMC

John, did you obtain an answer to your question?

The fellow who wrote the Bugle article is a member of my BCA chapter, and he has researched the road wheels extensively. I'm sure that he would be pleased to speak with you.

I'm sending you a private message with his telephone number, in case you would like to talk directly with him.

Those were some great articles in The Bugle! There were lots more variations than I ever suspected, year to year and center cap to center cap. Great resources!

I understand there was a similar article on similar Riviera wheels in the ROA magazine several years ago. Many things we take for granted as being "the same" are not that way in so many respects.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I think that JJ bead type applies to 1971 and newer wheels. I assume you need some for a 1970 Electra?

Does your Electra have front disc brakes? If so, the 1971 and newer wheels won't fit. If the car has drums, they will probably fit but will narrow the car's track by 1" and the wheels will come very close to the drums fins.

Also, you won't be able to mount the correct cone-shaped center caps on these wheels.

To know if the wheels are correct for your car, they should be from a 68 to 70 full size Buick or a 67 with disc brakes.

Visually, you could distinguish the correct wheels by looking at the center cap mounting hole (2 1/8" diameter for 1966-70 instead of 2" as it was used on 1964-65 and 1971 and newer wheels). If there is a small "X" stamped just beside the hole, the wheels are for 1966-67's with drums brakes but they will also fit 68-70 with drums. If I remember well, the pre-1971 wheels have a "LK" bead type.