Brake pad wear sensors

padgett

Does the wear sensor on the front brake pad go to the leading or trailing side ? Did not find any reference in manual but logic says you would want it on the trailing edge as any asymmetrical torque would move the leading edge out and the trailing edge in. Is this right ?

errr I meant which outboard pad goes on which side of the car. Since both front calipers are on the front (toward the front bumper) side of the rotor, does the wear sensor go up (leading edge) or down (trailing edge).

(Can change depending on which pad is used on which axle.)

Think I boluxed the first post. Logic seems to say to have the wear sensors (scrapers) facing up (leading edge).

From the sketches in my manual, it appears the indicator goes on the trailing edge of the outer pad, front and rear. I suspect it will be more effective this way as the force of contact will tend to stretch the spring steel and allow it to vibrate more easily. If it is on the leading edge, the contact will tend to compress the spring. Sorta like scratching your fingernails on an old blackboard. It seemed to work better if you pulled them across the surface. Just my logic. grin.gif

Hey Padgett, go a little further in the manual to 5B3 and 5B7, front and rear brakes. It sure looks like they are on the trailing edge, although I suspect they will work on either side. If I understood your earlier conjecture, the leading edge will tend to pull in toward the rotor under braking making the indicator more effective if on the leading edge? Sorta like the self energizing which occurs with drum brakes. I gotta admit I have never detected any large difference in the pad thickness on a properly operating system. You are right though, the page you indicated does appear to show it on the leading edge, unless you were backing up grin.gif

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

According to the brake engineers here at Delphi Lining Wear Sensors are designed to go on the leading edge.