Water spots on chrome

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest Dynaflo2

What has given you all the best results for removing water spots from chrome (as in bumper)? I'll get out the Mother's tomorrow, but am curious about what experiences others have had. Toothpaste? White vinegar? Amonia and wadded up newspaper? Coca Cola? What do you guys like? (By the way, the car was in someone else's possesion when the bumper got spotty!)

Guest Dynaflo2

Thanks for all the answers so far. At the risk of sounding stooopid, what is Wadding? Haven't heard of it so far. Do I pick it up at the local Advance Auto Parts store? Thanks again.

John

It comes in a 4" (or so) round metal can with a screw off top, and seems to be cotton with some greasy dampness to it. I think maybe it is called "Neverdull" as noted above. Most any parts store will have it. It really works good and doesn't seem to be abrasive.

How about water spots on black PAINT? I "rinsed off" the car at a friends house and didn't shammy it. Found out the water was ultra-hard. I've rubbed carefully but vigorously using Zymol wax (which was on the car when it got spotted) and it's still got some spots (rings) if you look real close. Any help would be appreciated, and you can even let me know how stupid it is to let water drops dry in the sun.

I'd try a polish like Meguiar's 5 or 7 glaze, or 3M's Finesse-It or Imperial Hand Glaze first before I set in on black paint with any rubout compound. Always best to use the finest and least aggressive cut that will clear up the problem. There used to be a glaze called "Liquid Ebony" made especially for dark colors, is it still made?

Also- Zymol is a nice wax, but from what I've seen has very little paint cleaning capability.

The most common form of "wadding" has a brand name of NeverDull, and you can find it at Walmart in the cleaning materials section. As stated before, it comes in a small metal can. It might also be located next to the car wax in the automotive section as well ( I bought some the other day, and don't remember which section of WalMart it was in).

The "wadding" appears to be uncombed/raw cotton fiber impregnated with some sort of solvent/cleaning solution. It looks like a big grey/tan wad of material, of which you tear off little pieces and use to polish out the metal.

Budd

Guest John Chapman

Nevr-Dull... well, gone is the spiffy gold and orange can from my Navy OCS days (who'da thunk they'd change that in 31 years?). Anyway, here's what it looks like in the 21st Century...

nrd.jpg

Use latex gloves or it'll turn your fingers black

Cheers,

JMC

• 2 weeks later...

Brass-o used in my Navy day's (wading type any grocery store). But I find Blue Magic to work best. This also leaves a protective coating, that will not need repeating as often. Another note about Blue Magic is after cleaning even the copper revits on the door handles, shin even more the next day after an application. Found in Auto Zone only so far.