CD CHANGER

Cadillac White

Does anyone know anything about putting a CD changer in an 88 reatta? I just got my hands on one, and realizing it has a Computer system, it dawned on me that it may be harder than I expected. I have had 2 other buicks, but they were simple stereo swap outs, nothing like this. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

~Chris

Guest C.F.Massie

Are you talking about a CD unit to put in the dash somewhere or a FM modulator CD changer unit, 6, 10 or 12 disk for example? If it's a FM multi disk changer you can mount it in the trunk and tap into any available power source, I have an 89 and I put my changer in the trunk up under the third brake light. I got my power source from inside the console and it works just fine. The 88-89 Reattas did not have the CD option so there doesn't seem to be a viable way to incorporate a typical in dash system to the Reatta unless you bypass the entire radio/computer system. If anyone has found a way to adapt an in dash system to an 88 or 89 I sure like to know how they did it.

THanks,

I have asked around and everyone agrees on the FM modulator, and of course, i wouldnt want to bypass the computer system jsut for a cd player, that is one of the more interesting parts of the car. I think i am going with a 10 disc changer, save a bit of money, and still be able to choose what i listen too. One more question. Does anyone know where, and how much a new headlight motor is? I am getting new bushings, and will try that, but i dont even hear the motor turning when the lights are turned on, so i think it is shot. O, and if anyone knows, how exactly does the wiring work on the motors? My dad is helping me fix up the little thinkings on the car (just got it about a week ago...a dream of mine since i could drive (4 years ago))and he cant figure it out, the kicker is, hes an electrictian. He said he was reading voltage on both wires that went into the motor, and how it owuld normally work, is that 1 wire is upa, dn 1 is down, and whenever gets hot is the way it goes. So we are baffled, and if anyone knows, please help. Thanks alot.

~Chris

Guest wally888

Hope you have given the car the brake tests at site below and flushed the system!

Sounds are great unless it's metal on metal.

Guest DTerry

I mounted a 10 disk changer on the floor of the trunk, tapped into the power in the console, and made the antenna hook up in the console. Rather than rip out carpet to run the wire between the two, I just brought it through the trunk access door and it lays across the back; visible, but not obnoxious. The antenna connection at the antenna turned into such a problem that I abandoned that idea and with a GM adapter was able to easily hook it in at the radio.

• 5 months later...

I also just had a cd changer installed in the trunk and it's connected to the antenna. I'm having all sorts of problems with my radio station reception (lots of static and difficulty picking up stations). I noticed you tapped into the antenna connection at the radio module in the console. What type of gm adapter did you use? Anybody have any ideas on why my radio stations are so terrible?

I don't remember where the "GM adapter" came from; probably Circuit City. It's a common item and most any electronics store - Radio shack, for instance - has them on the shelf.

Does the static continue when the CD changer is turned off? If I tune a radio station while the changer is on, the reception is poor and the seek function only captures the FM modulator frequency.

GM uses what is called a "mini" connector on the antenna and next to the antenna is the best place to put a changer since all of the power and wiring is there.

Importaant thing about the antenna is that the cable does not disconnect at the antenna itself but rather at the end of a stub cable that is about a foot long. Do not try to disconnect the cable at the antenna.

You can just see the antenna, stub cable, and connector at the bottom of the second picure on 10 box.

Yes the static and poor reception continues when the power is off to the changer. I've been told the changer itself could be the problem. Is the gm adaptor a common one used for other gm vehicles?

It was weird...when the radio was on you could move your hand close to the antenna where the adaptor was located (in the trunk) and the reception improved. Then move your hand away and it got worse!?

I would like to check the adaptor to see if its the right one. It does work and the cds play and sound great.

The GM adapter doesn't fit the antenna connection in the trunk - it's different. I couldn't find one that would fit there; that's the reason I moved to the console. It fits the connection at the radio.

umm its not a cd changer but i put an alpine headunit, an "in dash" unit into my 88, i took out the bucket part in the center armrest and just mounted it vertically and it plays fine, after about the first 10 times you change the cd it isnt awkward anymore. i saw someone on cardomain, i think the handle was "djnap" or something and saw how he had done the same thing, its not a problem to mount it low enough that you can keep the arm rest down except for when your changing it, the only problem i had was when i origionaly mounted it it skipped a bunch so i pulled it out and put t in at an angle and now its fine unless i hit a bug bump like a speed bump.

well, i have a pair of amps in the car and one powers the subs and one powers the mids/highs. ummm it wasnt too huge of a chore. my tapedecks been broken as long as ive had the car, that plus the fact that i have like 2 cassetts. the attena works fine, just as its supposed to, when i select radio instead of cd on the headunit the antenna goes up and when i change off of radio it goes down. my friend helped me and he installs stuff like LCDs and stereo setups professionally so he knew what he was doing, gave me a list of stuff to buy and in a night he helped me put everything in. i think i remember buying some kind of adaptor for the antenna, looked like it had a headphone outputknob thing on one end and was like an L, 9 inches or so by 2 and was black rubber with the wires inside it. i dunno if this helps you any or if your post was even in responce to mine, yea, its bed time