Heater core

Cargirl

One more question today....lately my car has been discharging steam from the defroster vents when the HVAC system is off. I assume this is a heater core that has corrosion and is beginning to leak. Does that sound like a correct prognosis? I am wondering, on a scale from 1-10 the difficulty of this job. I searched the FAQ's and history and did not find much info on heater cores. Any help would be appreciated!

Guest spongebob

cargirl..all heaters are a tough cookie..heres what the manual says:

disconnect neg.battery cable

drain coolant

remove console and instument panel

disconnect programmer and electical connections

remove electrical connections from BCM

remove BCM and mounting brakets

electrical connections from ECM

remove ECM and mounting bracket

then...the heater core

you'll want to kill the guy that designed the system.

theres a word i dont like to use..."barsleak" !! you didnt hear it from me.. wink.gif

A few years ago my heater core "went south" too. It leaked down all over the carpet. I was able to catch it in time to prevent major damage to the carpet and mat. The car's interior smelled like antifreeze for months. The shop I took it to, fixed it in about a day and $350 later.

Guest wally888

I've only encountered this problem once (a Lincoln). My carpet got very wet?

If you turm heater on, highest setting, you may see same, however.......

( I see Howard has also mentioned!)

Guest Ranger

Just got mine out of storage, was told the passenger floor had some

moisture, I'd guess it's a core. In the past, I've used, with

success, ground black pepper. Simply buy a package in the grocery store, turn on the heat and when the engine warms up and the water is circulating, slowly pour the pepper in the radiator filler and let it work its way through the system, the grains will fill pinholes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_jim13a

I have had to replace my heater core twice on my 89.

The first core was defective and lasted only a month. Don't purchase a core from any parts stores, OEM is always the best choice.

I have done many heater core swaps over the years and the reatta is one of the easiest in my opinion. if interested, send me an e-mail and I will send you a brief description of what to do.

Hi Jim,

I decided to bypass the heater core for now. Seemed the quickest and easiest for now seeing as summer is here. If you would like to send the info I will probably deal with the replacement in the fall. Thanks for the advise as well, If I do this thing I do not want to have to worry about it for another 14 years smile.gif

Jim, I tried to e=mail you at the listed address but wouldn't get through. I've done the full dash pull out on my '85 Mustang for a core change out, and if the time comes for my '89 Reatta... I would dearly love to not go through that kind of exercise again. I would much apprecieate the scoop on your method. estaver1@bellsouth.net