62 Starchief

Anyone have any info on a 62 Starchief 4dr? Did they come with a 289? I'm going to a auction in a few days and would like any info anyone can give me. It is suppose to be a low mileage, great shape, excelent runner. What would be a fair price on a car like this. I know it is hard to tell someone a price on something they haven't seen, but a ball park figure would be nice. (it is suppose to be original) Thanks for any help.

Tom

Starchief was Pontiac's middle line full-size car and incorporated an "Executive" subseries for several years. I think 289 is a typo; all the big 62 Pontiacs had 389s. A Starchief will also have Jetaway Super HydraMatic, which is much easier to live with than the Catalina's Slim Jim.

Value? Hard to say, but any nice original car is a desirable find even in 4-door versions. BTW all 62 Starchiefs were 4-doors. You could get them as hardtops or sedans.

Hello Tom, Glenn was right on all counts, but let me add a few items. At the time Pontiac made two big car types, the shorter wheelbase Catalina and Grand Prix and the longer Bonneville and Star Chief. As Glenn said, the short wheelbase cars used the "slim jim" roto hydramatic, considered a bad transmission. The long wheelbase cars used the "super" hydramatic, considered quite good. The Star Chief is basically a Bonneville with plainer trim and limited (4dr) body types, it was considered an older persons car since it did not have the sporty body styles, and as such is less desirable than a Bonneville and far less common, then and now. This should make it a lower cost to buy though, good luck and enjoy, Todd C