56 special 322 engine

Have a 56 w/ 322 nailhead and I'am thinking of putting a finned aluminum valley plate on. The valley plates I've seen so far don't have the hole in them for the oil breather pipe. If you don't have that pipe is there a problem? Will it wreck the engine?

Guest Skyking

Why couldn't you change one of the valve covers to one that would have the breather. I don't think there would be any harm in doing that change. The engine can still breath...........

Are you talking about the draft tube opening or the oil filler/breather opening? You do need the draft tube or a PCV valve to evacuate fumes and pressure from the crankcase. The 56 322 did not have an oil filler/breather on the valley pan...had one on each valve cover. 53 to early 55 had a filler/breather on the valley cover.<BR>Willie

The road draft tube (and PCV valves) behave a bit like a siphon, with air going into the engine through the breathers.<BR>The problem with just using the breathers on top of the valve covers is that it's messy because the air going out of them will carry some oil with it.<BR>It really wouldn't be much effort to remove a couple of those fins off the valley pan, drill a hole and install a modern PCV valve, then run the tube to the intake, carb base or even air cleaner. If you've got a drill press, you can get an end mill and remove the fins, then get a hole saw and make a hole (get 1/8-inch under the size you actually need--the saw teeth remove a lot of material and make the hole wider than you want). Heck, if you don't have a drill press, some hand work with a grinder or Dremel tool would also get rid of the fins.<BR>-Brad

My 1955 76-R has has breather/oil fill caps on each of the valve covers---Does this mean double the pollution----or just pollting twice as fast????

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Jeff,<P>Like what Willie said, the '56 did not have a oil filler/breather on the valley cover.<P>The way those worked was that as you drove <BR>air was sucked in thru the oil breather (the one in front), into the crankcase. It circulated within the engine, and then exited out the rear draft tube. This tube extended slightly lower that the engins, and as you drove, the draft created by motion, siphoned the funed air out of the engine intop the atomsphere.<P>You do neet that reat pipe.<P>I'm not sure which pipe you want to eliminate.<P>Starting in mid 1955, theu moved the front<BR>oil filler tube/cap to the valve covers.<BR>One on each side. They claimed the engine would breathe better with that arrangement.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C Roadmaster Conv.<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Hoiliday Sport Sedan<BR>1986 Buick Century<BR>1978 Pont. Bonneville Broham

I was asking about that rear tube that extend down below the engine and it goes into the valley plate. It looks like I will have to drill a hole to mount the tube

That tube at the back of the engine is the "road draft" tube. That's the one that can be replaced with a modern PCV valve. Drill a hole in the valve cover and install a PCV with a rubber grommet. Find the PCV before you drill the hole, rather than the other way around.<BR>If you have a drill press, you can get an end mill at a mill tool supply store (3 flutes or more), and mill the fins off with the drill press--it's tedious, but you can do it. Once the spot for the PCV is flat,drill a hole for the grommet. Then run a line from the PCV to the carb base or make a nipple in the air cleaner lid.<BR>Good luck!<BR>-Brad