'68 Monaco 500 Conv.

Restorer32

<span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of American Cars</span> says no 1968 Monaco convertibles built at all- 4d sedan and HT, 2d HT, 6 & 9 passenger wagons. Monaco 500 is listed as 5 passenger 2d HT coupe only, production 3400.

SC shows 1968 Polara 500 5 passenger coupes and convertibles were built. I've always found the SC to be reasonably accurate.

A gorgeous 1966 Monaco 500 coupe showed up at a cruise night in Lynchburg VA last week.

First, determine the correct year model. You can't depend on what the title says. A true '68 Monaco will have a VIN of either DH41-8-100,001&up or DH23-8-100,001&up. If this is in fact a '68 Monaco, then you're dealing with an aftermarket conversion. Such a vehicle would be difficult to value. Purists won't have anything to do with it, so it will have to be valued as a unique custom. The quality of the workmanship will be critical. It appears that there was a Polara 500 convertible in '68 of similar size. Is it possible that what your employee has is really a Polara that was re-badged at some point (perhaps during body work?).

Guest BruceW

Maybe they were made but not in the US.

I've seen stated that starting in 1965 there was a "Canada-only" Monaco convertible. I've also seen a couple 1968 Dodge Monaco 500 convertibles listed for sale on the internet (whether or not they really are such I can't say), but in each case they were identified as Canadian models. One such advertisement is located at:

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1968monaco500012504.htm

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1968 Dodge Monaco Convertible that was made in Canada. (It even has the Winepeg Dealership tag still on the trunk.)

In the Dodge Story book it says that a few were made in Canada using the Polara body shell and Monaco trim (grill, body trim, tail lights, etc.)

I haven't found out exactly how many were made yet but I too have only seen references to these cars on the internet as being Canada only cars.

The car was an available Canadian model. The guy who said check the vin number was exactly right, though. Mopars during these years fairly often were mis- registered as to both year and model name. My grandfather had a 70 Polara that was mistakenly called a Cordoba on the title years before one was avialble in the US.