Now YOU can drive a brand new, 2002 GSX!!!!!!

Remember the Chevy Beretta? After the car had gone into production Beretta Firearms of Italy hit them with a copyright lawsuit over the name, with result that GM paid out a wad of cash to settle the suit, paid Beretta a royalty on every Chevy Beretta built, and the car itself was discontinued after only a couple years. They paid SCCA a royalty for Pontiac's use of TransAM, but the T/A was way more of an image car than the Beretta and it died a quiet death once it was decided the lawsuit and royalty deal wasn't worth it in Beretta sales.<P>What made it funny was GM had just gone after all the repop parts manufacturers and sellers wanting a royalty and licensing fee for use of their trademarks. Notice how all the repop stuff now carries "Licensed GM Reproduction Parts" on the package? This is where all that came from.

Kia ia no longer a minor player, really. It was taken over by Hyundai about 2 years ago. They only sold (combined) a little over a quarter million cars here in 2001! <P>I don't have a problem with their products. In fact their's a site about 20 miles from me that's on the final short list for their first USA plant. I hope they get it up and running ASAP, because their cars have improved markedly.<P>I just wish that our US companies weren't such wusses on this subject. In Europe you cannot market a car with a 3 digit number for a name if it has a 0 in the center. If you do, Peugot has ground for a suit (regardless of the other 2 numbers, even if Peugot has never used the combination). <P>Stealing the name of a handgun or a washing machine <I>may</I> benefit the marketing of the car. But gloming on the mystic of a great car of the past <I>will</I>!

Guest Skyking

DAVE@MOON, I'm starting to believe you joined this forum just to stir up CRAP! I hope your proud to live in Ohio were all these plants are being built. In fact, maybe you work in one. Your probably one of these guys that drives a foriegn car with American flags drapping all over it. I could go on & on but you know, what's the use........

It is interesting that a scale model toy Buick GSX must be licensed by GM, yet does an actual automobile using the GSX nameplate produced by another automaker need to be similarly licensed by GM?<BR>I recently purchased a 1/18th scale (about 9 inches long) die-cast model kit of a '70 Buick GSX, painted in Saturn Yellow. On the box of the kit, it states, <BR>"Buick, GSX, and body design are registered trademarks of General Motors Corporation used under license to Racing Champions Ertl, Inc."<BR>Note that the name "GSX" is a separate name within the text of the statement, and not worded as "Buick GSX".<BR>Is KIA also licensed to use the GSX name, similar to the toy car manufacturers?<P>By the way, the '70 GSX model is very, very authentic!!<P>AK Buickman...............

I forgot to mention that the '70 GSX 1/18th scale die-cast kit is made by Racing Champions Ertl, Inc, Item #36520. It is part of their "American Muscle Body Shop" series. No, I do not work for Racing Champions Ertl, Inc., but am very impressed by this Buick kit.<BR>It is a Stage 1 with 4-speed manual transmission.<P>AK Buickman....................

Remember the late 80,s volkswagen commercials on TV about the VW GTI. They used the same music as "Little GTO". VW was sued by GM for using it. They settled out of court for $800,00. mad.gif" border="0

Hmph. Wonder what kind of arrangement GM had with the music publisher who owned the rights to Little GTO? If the publisher had licensed the tune to VW for commercial use, I don't see how GM had a case, but stranger things have happened in the legal world.<P>That's part of the trouble in today's world. Everybody's too damn lawsuit-happy.