Time for tires, which?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Link to Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.j...itButtonName=Go

Tires for 90 Conv. Want soft, quiet ride. No snow.

Which of the 3 should I choose? and what size 215/225-65/60? (225/65/15 may not be available. What about using 60's?)

or suggestions.

Shocks are next. Notice Sears has special. Monroe sensa-trac, $90 ea. installed? (Are there different models-cheaper, maybe these?)

The reviews of the KH-11 (keyhole ?) sound the best for wet weather and look a lot like the old asymmetrical tread Michelin XAS. The 716 sounds like a better all around tire. A couple of reviews mentioned wet stopping issues with the 732 which would worry me.

Note that all in 215/65/15 indicate a 6.5" "measured rim width" which has always bothered me about the Reatta's 6" rims as I like a wider rim/section ratio for spirited driving however that is a "nut theory" few seem to agree with. I did put 16x7" rims on my car for that reason.

You're not a nut, just obsessed grin.gif Too much track time has gotten into your blood, but I agree with you nonetheless. Conventional tire to rim matching has allowed up to a 235 tire on a 6" rim. I imagine this is to promote a softer ride due to sidewall flex and running with a somewhat lower pressure to get a flat contact patch. I suspect this is what got Ford/Firestone in trouble. The closer the rim width is to the tread width, the better the handling.

Okay, Wally, quit screwing around and go out and get yourself a set of Kumho Grand Touring 732s, size 225x60x16R. You're gonna pay about $50 per tire, and you'll find they're the best, the stickiest, the softest ride. I've had 'em on four of my '90 convertibles, and there's nothing better. Just put a set of the mud'n'snow all-terrains on our 2003 Range Rover; so much quieter and smoother than those damn Michelins.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> cool.gif

Guest wally888

Thanks to all.

I have decided to buy Kumho ecsta HP4 716 but ALF1, can't use 16". (1990)

Why the 732's? Are they that much better than the 716? Can change my mind.

The downside of all is I may elect to buy the sensa trac shocks, Sears, $90 each and see if they have a comparable tire.

Get all done at once and I can get a 10% discount there.

Sorry, Wally, I assumed you'd changed over to 16-inchers. The 732s -- also available in 15 inch -- have a better heat, wear and whatever rating. I have always stayed away from Sears as they buy from everyone; you might get an Atlas today and a General tomorrow, both with Allstate imprints.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

No, Padge, it floods. And that usually follows the fires. California is not Paradise.

DO NOT COME HERE, PEOPLE; STAY AWAY! Do not believe what you see on television on New Years Day. It hails and rains on Jan. 1, interrupted by smog alerts.

Please move to whereverthehellitisthat EDBSO lives. The weather there is beautiful in February!

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

It pours, it pours.

Have seen Muroc full (and ruined a pair of shoes in the proto-cement), the painted desert green, and mud slides while there. Have never seen a light summer shower.

Was also headed from LAX to Edwards one night when a radio announcer raved that the Air Quality had just improved to "unhealthy" and have been unable to see one end of the Pomona swap meet from the other. On the whole I prefer Florida.

I have an 88 reatta , bought it about 6 months ago, I purchase 4 firestone indy 500 tires for it, and they are great! Now keep in mind I did not drive it in the winter and have only put about 1000 miles on it since I got it, but I must say the handle great so far! I really like them. , just my opinion,

Willy