Str. 8 Dual Carb Intake

I've learned a ton about the early Nailheads, but know very little about the Straight 8s. Am I correct in thinking that the dual carb intake for the Buick Straight 8 is the Holy Grail of early Buick Performance?<BR>I ask because I joust found a dual carb intake in a junkyard (that's not supposed to happen, is it?) It doesn't have the carbs on it, but it does have the aluminum carb bases. I'm going to go back and get it, probably just to have around. What are these worth?<BR>Also, the guy has got a 6x10 shed with about 3 dozen carbs laying loose in it. Can anyone give me a description of the carbs that should be on this intake? I'm looking for manufacturer, number of venturi (single or two), part number and location of that number, fuel inlet (front, side, back, etc.). I figure if I run though that building and find two that are identical, then those will be them, but I'd like to verify. I want to go back on Tuesday and get it.<BR>Also need that exhaust manifold, right?<BR>Thanks for your help on this,<BR>-Brad

The carbs were 2 barrel with a 3 bolt base. The Ford carbs(stromberg 97) had the same base size. The proper carbs had the fuel inlet on the back and the starter switch on the front carb.The back carb as stated in the other post had no choke and it also had a weighted butterfly under it so when the throttle was floored ,the second carb didn't come in until the RPM was high enough to handle it.

The engine size is all important.The 320 set-up is,of course,larger than the 248,The front carburetor is like a standard unit,but tbe rear carburetor has only the float and high speed systems.I drive a 41 and have the manuals for it in case you need carb #'s etc

Oops!,got distracted and made a mis-statement.The rear carburetor also has an IDLE circuit. My 41 will idle down to about 5 M.P.H. in high gear,then will accellerate smoothly with no hesitation. When I was with B.M.D.,I had the pleasure of meeting the engineer who designed this set-up,which is and became 4 bbl carburetion.The rear carburetor had an air=velocity valve which prevented over-carburetion at low R.P.M.The rear carburetor operated only on fairly higher throttle opening by using progressive linkage

Guest oldtimer

also the aftermarket intakes were made from aluminum, the stock '40-'41 "compound carb" set-up was cast. also the size of the motor made a difference, you can't use a roadmaster (320) intake on a special (248 or later 263 super) because the 320 is longer. I've also seen a 6x2 set-up on a srt.8, even if it's the stock set-up it's worth more then the single 2bbl.

Brad, the front and rear are NOT identical carburetors. <BR>Try finding one of these for the FRONT:<BR>(Carter) 419S, 440S, 459S, 551S, 528S, 474S, 487S, 608S, or Stromberg AAV-16.<P>The REAR has a more limited application. Try Carter 529S or 543S, or Stromberg AA-1, for the small series 248 engine. For the 320 engine, Carter 534S or 544S, or Stromberg AA-1.<P>Carter 533S may also work for the FRONT on the 320 engine only.<P>I'm reading these from the Hollander Interchange manual. Maybe Ralph or Joe T. might interpret these a little more precisely if necessary.<P>Hope this helps,<BR>Randy<BR>BCA #9592

Another note:<BR>Before you make the purchase be sure to check the manifold over carefully as they cracked very easily. Sometimes a good welder can repair the cracks. If you decide to purchase I have a couple of carbs that are correct for the dual carb set up. I have one for the large series and one for the small series, both are in fair condition, but should be rebuilt to use, price is $30.00 ea. plus shipping.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

That's cool. I have no idea what model the car is--I could only find one emblem on it to even identify it as a Buick!<BR>The Buick dual intake is integrated into the exhaust manifold, correct?<BR>Anyone know the dimensions, front to rear, of the different intakes? (like from the front mounting bolt hole to the rear one).<BR>What does a bare intake usually go for, and how rare were they? This one is factory, as it's iron.<BR>Thaks for your help everybody!<BR>-Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I am right when I say that the 320 engine has a 3 piece exhaust manifold and the smaller engine has a 1 piece exhaust manifold. I know the standard 320 exhaust maniflods berak all the time. The small engines use a 3 bolt carb base and the large ones use a 4 bolt base. Good luck. Mark