nailhead to chevy 4spd bell housings

Guest miked

Guest miked

I have a REAL, vintage nailhead to muncie 4-speed bell housing, and I'm thinking about re-popping it. Anyone interested? It will make a nailhead, bolt DIRECTLY to a chevy 4-speed, with no other adaptors required.

What year nailheads?

One just went on ebay for 322 to Chevy 4-speed. Over $300.

I love the idea, and depending on the size Nailhead, would be interested.

How are you planning on repopping it? I've done just a very little checking into this exact thing. What I've found, in a nutshell:

It isn't as easy as just pulling a mold off the existing part, because shrinkage needs to be taken into account. For instance, you couldn't use a finned valve cover, make a sand casting directly off of it, and pour a new valve cover: the new cover wouldn't fit.

Also, the machining process on a bellhousing is where a bunch of the costs are.

From what I could find, to make a new bellhousing, you have to make a new pattern, have it poured and then machined.

If you have found some other info, or if I'm wrong, please let me know! I'm not an authority on casting. I'd be happy to be wrong about the ease of you casting a new bellhousing!

-Brad

Guest miked

I haven't really done much research on it yet. That sounds like good info though. I'm looking into it, and depending on the cost/complexity of manufacturing them, it will reflect the number of them I could have made. The one that I have fits my '60 364. I'm not sure of what other nailheads it will fit.