71 Formal Coupe

86 2dr.ltd

Hi Centurion, I'm really courious about this "Formal Coupe"What can you tell me and do you know of a spot I could find a picture. I know you once gave some info on the Centurion, Lesabre convertable differences but I'm wondering about your car. Then theres the Lexus? Luxus? I just cant keep it all straight.

Guest Shaffer

If you go to <A HREF="http://www.buicks.net" TARGET=_blank>www.buicks.net</A> - click on production totals for "1971" scroll down and pictured is a 71 Centurion coupe. The main difference is that the Centurion is a little fancier than the LeSabre. Also, the Centurion has NO chrome "louvers" on the hood, as the LeSabre and Electra do. This was supposed to give it a more "sporty" appearance. I think the "Luxus" was started in 1974 and was actually a slightly fancier LeSabre. My uncle in North Carolina has a 1974 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. Not as familiar with the Centurions, so hopefully someone here can be more help. Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord

"Formal Coupe" was Buick's nomenclature for all 2-door hardtops in the Centurion series for 1971 and 1972. The unique roofline is recognized in the body style designation in the car's model number, 46647. The "4" refers to Buick, the "66" to the Centurion series, and the "47" to the Formal Coupe. All other 1971 Buick 2-door hardtops (except Riviera) used the "37" number to designate the 2-door hardtop body style.<P>The Centurion was really a successor to the earlier Century, Invicta and Wildcat series cars. Like the Invicta and Wildcat, the Centurion shared its basic body with the LeSabre series, but shared the division's largest engines with the Electra and Riviera series cars.<P>The name change from Wildcat to Centurion marked a move away from the sporty image Buick had tried to create with the Wildcat. The Centurion was marketed as a more luxurious full-size Buick, and the interiors were appreciably nicer than those offered in the LeSabre. The 455 engine was standard equipment in '71 and '72, and the Centurion was unique among the "B" and "C" body Buicks in offering the "modified high performance 455" (shared only with the Riviera GS) as an option.<P>With regard to the Formal Coupe roofline, Buick took the basic LeSabre hardtop coupe and installed a fiberglass plug in the rear window area to create a smaller rear window opening. All '71 and '72 Centurion 2-door hardtops received a standard vinyl roof covering, much as had the first Wildcats of 1962. Rather than the bright moldings used on the LeSabre to trim the border of the vinyl roof (when ordered) with the rest of the car body, the Centurion 2-doors used a grained molding that matched the vinyl roof material. A similar molding was used to surround the rear window, with only a small strip of bright work bordering the window itself. The overall effect was to create a more formal roofline than the LeSabre 2-door hardtop. (Interestingly, Oldsmobile employed a very similar idea on its '71 and '72 Delta 88 "Royale" 2-door hardtops.)<P>By '73, which was the Centurion's final season, the unique roofline was gone, and Centurion 2-door hardtops used a roofline -- with or without vinyl roof -- identical to that of the LeSabre. Perhaps more importantly, the 455 was replaced by the 350 4-barrel as the standard engine, and the series'unique grille and taillamps were gone. An equally nice interior was now offered in the LeSabre series, where the 455 had been available as an option since 1970. Given the absence of significant distinction from the LeSabre series, Buick obviously decided there was no longer a need for a separate series between the LeSabre and Electra 225. The Centurion disappeared at the end of the '73 model year.<P>The LeSabre Luxus bowed in 1974 as a top-of-the-line version of the LeSabre that effectively replaced the Centurion. I do not recall whether the "Luxus" name lasted for more than one model year, but there has always been a plusher version of the LeSabre offered -- usually called the "Limited" -- since that time.<P>Sorry for the long-winded reply. Obviously, you caught me on one of my favorite topics.

It must have been quite rare and now even more so. I still cant picture that roof line and would like to see the grill.<P>As you may know my classic is a 75 Delta conv. and a recent 76 Delta 88 Royal Coupe that I'm driving(happily)just a roll of the dice really. I really wanted a 68 Riv but the guy was bazar so I wound up with the Royal conv. and except for the top have no regrets.BUT I'm quite fond of this Coupe appearance and may be getting over my Riviera Blues.These things are rare (the coupe not the conv.) so I want to save this one.<P>At anyrate I found out there was at least a 1976 special 88 version "Holiday" that had closed out rear windows and that made me more courious about your car and the B body history of this era.The thing that really sets them off for me is the slope of the windshield and top line and the curve to the sides. What a ride!<P>What mirrors did yours use?<BR>Was there a tail-end or taillight difference?<P>On last thing - Does this look like a parts car? Can that guy sell this car? Could someone ever title this car? <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAP.dll?ViewItem&item=599280321" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAP.dll?ViewItem&item=599280321</A>

86 2-dr Ltd,<P>The Centurion had a unique grille and taillamp treatment in '71 and '72. An option that was unique to the Centurions was the "Centurion Paint Stripe", which followed the body side sculpturing and really sets these cars off. My car is pictured in the BCA Member's Gallery on the BCA home page, but the shadows hide some of the grille and taillamp detail.<P>As you know, the GM B and C Body cars introduced for 1971 remained in production through 1976. The appearance of the cars changed significantly during this time period, however, as the front end and rear end styling was "squared up" to accommodate the 5-mph bumpers and the cars were influenced by some of the styling fads of the mid-to-late '70's, such as stand-up hood ornaments, opera windows, landau tops, wider protective side moldings, and pillowy velour interiors. In general, I think that the designs started out with a cleaner, sleeker, more integrated appearance than the cars that followed, but this is a matter of personal taste. I am not wishing to offend anyone here, but, as I watched the successive facelifts to the full-size GM cars of this era, I thought to myself: "Gee, it's almost as if GM is deliberately trying to destroy the sales of its full-size cars." You may freely disagree with me, and, again, it's a matter of personal taste. You might want to check out some photos of a '71 Delta 88 Royale to see how much the styling changed from '71 to '76 to see what I'm talking about. If needed, I can scan and e-mail you some pictures from both the '71 Buick and '71 Oldsmobile brochures.<P>By the way, the link to the car auctioned on Ebay did not work on my computer, but I will try to check it out from the item number.

By the way, I do remember that '76-era Delta 88 coupe with the blanked out rear quarter window. It was attractively done, and I would say that it would be difficult to find one today. There was also a special version of the '76 LeSabre coupe that was quite striking. It was finished in white with either a navy blue or burgundy red landau top and matching lower body striping.<P>The 2-door versions of the '71 and '72 Centurions and Delta 88 Royales are also difficult to find. I have been "tuned in" to these cars since they were new, and I can tell you that during the last twenty years I have stumbled across fewer than 10 Centurion Formal Coupes. In this part of the country, I would very regularly see the '71 through '73 LeSabres and Electra 225's plying the Interstates up until the mid-1990's. Now, they have nearly disappeared, and it is an "event" (for me!) when I see one of these cars still in regular service.<P>As for the '73 Olds Delta 88 on Ebay, it looks nicer than a parts car to me. The rust appears to be surface rust only, although it is difficult to tell the condition of the critical rocker panel and lower quarter areas. As for the title question, it seems that it would be necessary to contact the State of Illinois to understand the protocol. Interestingly, the car is painted the same light green metallic as that 2,300-mile '73 LeSabre coupe (see link above), and neither car has the vinyl roof option. Vinyl roofs were so common during the era that it's quite noticeable when a car does not have one.<P>[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Centurion ]<p>[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Centurion ]

Guest Shaffer

Speaking of early 70s Lesabres and Centurions, here is a car, you may have seen before posted on traderonline, but thought I would post the link here. It is a SUPER low mile (2,300) 2dr 73 LeSabre. There is also a base 72 LeSabre 2dr. Nice looking car though. (The links are backwards, but both there. The 2nd one is the 73 LeSabre) <A HREF="http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/4/17308554.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/4/17308554.htm</A> <P>Here is the link for the low mile 73 2dr LeSabre: <A HREF="http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/8/2/17776982.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/8/2/17776982.htm</A><p>[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

I agree a little with the last two years of the 71-76 GM full-size cars styling. They became much larger and heavier and in some cases, more luxurious. The interiors became more plush and more chrome added, as well as huge bumpers. I guess my favorites of the 75-76 GM full-size is the 1976 Chevrolet Caprice 4-door and wagon and the 1975-1976 Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Safari. I think these cars kept a nice style. I think the rear end of the 74-76 Oldsmobile 98 got a little over styled- I think I disliked the "pointy" taillamps (my great aunt owned a 76 Oldsmobile 98 4dr - she is gone now, but her husband still has it). The fronts was nicely styled. I guess my favorite of the 71-74 full-size GMs is the 1972 Pontiac Grand Ville 4dr/2dr and the 1971-73 Chevrolet Caprice, and the 1972 Buick LeSabre. We used to have a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 2-door hardtop coupe. It was a very nice car. We had it in the late 80s. My dad felt sorry for a old man and let him have it for $100 or traded it for a microwave the old man had. He would not take it (the car) for nothing. Until recently, I realized how rare of a car it was. Gone now, gone. As is many cars we have owned and wish we still had. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Tony<BR>72 Buick Electra 4dr<BR>89 Pontiac Safari wagon<BR>91 Honda Accord 4dr<P>[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Yes, on that green 73 Delta and I've gotta get a car with that color someday.Dont know why?Some ones going to have one nice cheap parts car.I should have checked that link,must have left out a . or something.<P>I agree on the bumper issue.The ones on my 75 are brutal with the "bumperettes" and the licence plate holder.The 76 was cleaned back up again. I didnt like the 76 grill,headerpanel,headlights at first but it has grown on me. I do like hood ornaments,dont know why? Must be an ego thing. Taillights I'm not sure, I like them all for appearence,but my 2 models are very vulnerable. I'm a big fan of velour interiors, it holds up so well and is not as cold-cold or sticky hot.I've never had leather but the interiors I've seen are cracked looking with lower miles. My 76 is blue chrushed velour,the 75 white vinyl - nice soft vinyl. I like both rear window styles,early&late. There was one of those 76 Royals or Holiday on Collector trader if you want take another look. Go under Delta 88. <P>I really like that Buick side body line. I was also looking at a 75 Riviera during that same time period. The grills (nose)definetly are the down fall of this period, but that was the trend and with the bumper regulations. I still think GM did better than Ford. <P>Now the B body clincher of the day. Quite a coincidence I might add. On the way to work this morning I have a B-body something merging on my right but I'm going faster in traffic and its still dark but I'm thinking Caprice. Then a few miles later I'm getting passed and there it is a Caprice. This might have been a special one also. 2dr.,white, white vinyl top, fender skirts. This had a very wide rear roof area, like that of the 70,71,72 Monty. Appeared to be in very good condition or better.<P> I went spring skiing one beautiful day in 1978 with a friend who had a Caprice convertable. It was so nice out that we put the top down on the way.Just another piece of heaven.

Guest Shaffer

I went and typed in the item #. That car is way too nice to be a parts car. Very restorable car. I guess they listed it as a parts car, is because it has no title. <P>Tony<P>72 Electra<BR>89 Safari<BR>91 Accord

The "special" 1976 Delta Royale referred to earlier is the Royale Crown Landau Coupe, option Y-61 in Olds parlance. It was a Hurst conversion for the big car and consisted of blanked out quarter windows, stainless steel roof tiara with Landau half vinyl roof cover, color keyed wheel covers and a special hood ornament. They were supposedly available in all standard Olds colors but were limited to white, black or maroon roof covers, and many also had the Compaticolor interior trim (white seats/door panels with carpets and dash matched to the exterior of the car). And yes, I have seen one in that garish Lime Green Metallic color with Compaticolor option. Beautiful cars in spite of having a nose that looked like it ran into the wall, and owning a very early production 1976 Regency, I've gotten used to that mug. grin.gif" border="0

rocketraider - thanks for clearing that up. Just last week or the previous week there was a book or sales packet I forgot to bid on at eBay and it mentioned something about a Holiday coupe for this period in the description . So I just assumed that car was called the Holiday. My mistake for assuming.I still think these are a handsome car 71 - 76 and I'm glad to be saving a few.Sometimes pictures dont always get it if the camera has a bad angle making the front look huge and the rear end appear to be a mile away. They really stand out when seen for real.

The Delta 88 Holiday Coupe was a 1977-82 series and was a sporty big car. Bucket seats, console, sport steering wheel, usually with FE3 suspension and available with the 403. Unfortunately, 403 cars couldn't get the SS-III sport wheels since they were small bolt circle and 403s used the big circle wheels. They could have the SS-V all chrome wheel or color keyed full wheel covers. These are neat cars and actually sold pretty well. At least someone in GM had realised there was a market for a big sporty 2-door car in those years. Now if they'd just get their heads out of their butts and realise that now.... For a few years I thought GM was making a comeback with their styling and product lineup, and now everything looks like a Volvo or Toyota Avalon. I can't imagine anyone ever seeing the dreck they're making now as collectible. Or for that matter trying to restore all the electronic mess. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I was aware of the 77-82 model as someone had what appeares to be a very nice one on eBay this fall.Showed pictures of the interior and many other great shots of the car. There was also a few LeSabres and Electras poping up from this era but did not seem to get much interest. <P>I regret neglecting to bid on that informative whatever it was about the 71-76 B bodys but its gone now. I was quite tired that night and forgot all about finding it for a few days.