GNX Fender Louvers ???

Filobedo

I would if I had the cash but, unfortunatly im on Disability. I've done pretty good though. I bought the car in June 2003 for $1700.00. It was sadly neglected, dirty and needed alot of work. Brakes, Acumulator, Relays, Axles, Switches etc. You name it... Anyways, By November 23 2003 it was voted #1 Top Ride on Cardomain.com. Im not try'in to win any land speed records but, I do want it to be a unique Reatta in it's own way. It's a Good LiL Car and Deserves it! grin.gif

Thanks, I thought about the upside down thing too.

Guess I'll see when they get here...

As for the oval vents. I think that it would be pretty difficult to cut three oval holes in line. It's gonna be hard enough for me to cut the straight lines tongue.gif

Guest Greg Ross

Sharp corners cause stress risers and stress risers start fractures. Any cuts should have radius corners and then edges sanded to/ corners broken as they call it. This composite material is pretty rugged stuff, I think it's same or similar to what went in the body panels for Lumina Vans.

Because of the material. I will be using a very fine tooth hand saw.

{No power tools}. Maybe even a HackSaw blade with a small handle.

Trial & Error tongue.gif

Hopefully not to much error crazy.gif

First I will drill a hole in each corner to get the blade in. This in turn will make them round. When done I will trim, sand and paint the edges smirk.gif

But, Im still worried about whats behind there? Anybody confused.gif

I believe there are also "stick-on" Buick port-holes or "venti-ports" available (but not from GM). These are similar to the GM ones on the new Park Avenues. A friend of mine put the real GM ones on his late-90's GS, and it looks "sweet". laugh.gif Then he found the stick-ons which don't require cutting. Would they look as good? confused.gif

I believe there also may be stick-on GNX-louvers available as well.

I congratulate you on your originality of placing the GSX emblem on the car, but it sparked a question in the back of my mind. Since the Reatta is a relatively low-hp/heavy vehicle, would it live up to the GSX name which typically signifies performance?

After a bit of research, I believe the lowest HP offering of any factory GSX was the '74 Apollo GSX which had 175hp (net)... but I believe it also was a fairly light vehicle (Nova body style).

So, I leave it open for debate, would a GSX-emblemed Reatta live up to the history/lore of factory GSXs and do the name proud? A S/C certainly wouldn't hurt. wink.gif Happy customizing! smile.gif

A bit more information....

--

My friend with the '98/'99 GS bought 8 venti-ports (port holes) for about $113.

Yes, he gets discount, but its personal and no, he can't offer it to anyone else (sorry).

--

He used up using only 6 because there wasn't enough room on the fender for 8.

(here doesn't seem to be much on the Reatta fender either.)

--

Also, historically, only the very high-end luxury cars got 8... also probably because they had room. Lower models got 6.

--

When he got them, the PA Ultras weren't even out yet, but the 'port part numbers were on the books and when he ordered them, they actually pulled them out of inventory on the production line for his order.

--

Anyway, he has seen the stick-on 'ports on a car.

He says, from a distance, they look good, but up close you can notice a difference....since they are more flush.

--

He at one time had the contact information which he got "out of an ad in the Buick Club of America newsletter - (some French-sounding company name)", but has since misplaced it. Sorry for the vagueness, but I'm just relaying info.

--

He said the price for a set of the stick-ons was about $35.

They were available painted or in chrome.

The individual whose car he saw them on was Jay Frick of Jays GN Parts and Repair. He can reached at jaysgn@westol.com (jaysgn.com)

--

Hope this helps.

People put GSX emblems on Skylarks and GS's on a daily basis. They also put GNX Louvers on Regals and GN's. So why is it so wrong for me to put them on my Reatta?

You have a GSX 'Clone' right? Whether it lives up to the name or not,

It's still just a 'Clone'. "No Disrespect Intended" smile.gif

I have owned both a `70 GS350 & GS455.

I put Stage 1 emblems on each wink.gif Along with front and rear spoilers.

I've also owned an `85 GN and added the louvers, GNX emblems and `87 front grille & Spoiler. I also added a front mounted oversized Intercooler.

So, I guess that makes it OK? tongue.gif

I NEVER said that it was "wrong" and I did NOT pass judgement because honestly, I don't know which would be faster ('74 or Reatta)...nor does it matter. blush.gif

--

I just threw a question out there for the fun of debate.

I'm surprised that no one responded that a 175hp in a light car or not, is still pretty slow and posted performance numbers for the '74...which really would have been interesting. smile.gif

--

In any case, I meant NO disrespect, please accept my apologies if you took it that way. blush.gif

--

...in fact, again, I congratulate you on your originality. laugh.gif

--

Recall, I'm also the one who posted the info. about the "venti-ports", so you can see I have nothing against customization. laugh.gif

--

If you ever read the GSCA's pub. though? They really get upset when someone puts a "fast" badge on a slower car, 'cause they feel as though it hurts Buick's performance reputation when it gets beaten and people think, as a conclusion, that all Buick's are slow...."Buick's performance reputation"???? huh? There's only a handful of models over the years.......... but that's an entirely different crowd, thank goodness. ooo.gif

--

Everyone here just enjoys the car and likes sharing information about how to keep them running and "spice" them up a bit. Personally, I've often thought about putting a spoiler on the car to "make it look faster" when, in fact, it probably would slow it down due to the additional air drag....but that's not why I didn't do it....I just have never had the time. Maybe I will now that everyone has shared the spoiler information.

--

Again, sorry...didn't mean to offend. Have fun with the car. smile.gif

Well the 1974 Pontiac GTO 350 (also a NOVA - super trivia: Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo) did 0-60 in 9.4 seconds. Would have to check back posts but reacall mine (stock except for Rapidfiles and 225x60x16s) did it in 8.5 according to the G-Tech (average of several)

• 2 weeks later...

Well... The GNX Louvers did not work out. This is how Poston advertised them:

The quality is excellent! Louvers are manufactured in Black plastic-like metal and the finished surface side is high quality. They can be painted if you prefer, or they can be installed as is onto your front fenders.

Are Grey ordinary plastic which needed hours of surface prep and painting.

There were air bubbles in the mold but, rather than fill them in. They sanded 3in of the upper side edge completely off!!! Non Repairable Junk. I have had problems from Mr.Poston in the past with my GS 455 & `85 GN and he allways made it right. But, This is a case False Advertising. And they were returned. Now im trying to find the

stick-on Port Holes. Anybody???

PS: The GNX Louvers did look great & matched the body lines when held against the fender but, The hole needed to be cut is Way Too Big.

from another REGALGS.ORG thread.....

"Well, I had some free time today so I decided to get an idea of costs and find the part number for the portholes that come on the Park Avenue Ultras that some people here, myself included, have considered adding to our Regals. The local dealership gave me a part number of 25740950. Their cost was $30.64 for EACH one of these (so a set of 6 would be $183.84). GMPartsdirect has them listed at $14.46 each ($86.76 for 6 of them, S&H is $17.35 so a total of $104.11 shipped). This is more than I want to invest in this project right now, but the info is here for anyone who is interested. "

I found a post in our own buy/sell section....

This MUST be it.

My friend quoted $35, chrome or painted, and a "french-sounding" name

These are $35, available in those styles, and "LePage" qualifies in my book.

found it?

Member: 'Reatta1'

Reged: 07/30/02

Loc: Oregon

Re: Buick portholes...

#150469 - 02/12/03 06:44 PM

Stick on portholes.

Classic Parts

LePage Products

9356 Westbury

Plymouth, MI 48170

Sorry I don't have a phone #. Three styles available, painted, chrome or gold plated. Last I checked, chrome were 6 for $35. Good luck.

--------------------

BCA # 39316

Reatta Div. # 644