Will this Coil Pack work on my `88 Reatta ???

Filobedo

Accel Buick V6 Super Coil

42,000 Volts For Buick V6!

Re-engineered to be the only true high performance Magnavox style DIS coil pack for Buick V6 engines. An absolute must for Street/Strip use in Turbo Regals, Grand Nationals, GNX's and the 1989 Turbo TransAm.Compatible with OE computer controlled ignition system as well as a Crane or MSD capacitive discharge DIS ignition systems. Specifications include: 10% peak increase in energy over OE. 9% peak voltage increase over OE. 6% peak increase in arc duration over OE. 8% peak increase in current over OE.

110-140016 Coil Pack For Buick V6 $85.99

JEG'S - Buick Super Coil

Guest Greg Ross

Betsy Blue (have a look at the Side Pic) has this Coil/ MSD Dis-4 Ignition Box and Grand National Interface Adaptor. The Adaptor goes in between the Coil Pack and the Ignition Control Module to splice the MSD hot box in between the Ignition and the Coil Pack. Saves cutting and splicing and allows for a quick and dirty bypass plug if the MSD ever fails-which mine did, and ...

To answer your question, yes, this Coil Pack will fit your '88

To view the side pic, right click your mouse on the image, "add to Favorites" and then open thru Favorites, you'll get a full size image you can actually see. And Flash says he's going to make it even better!

Guest Greg Ross

Speaking of melting down the MSD Dis-4 Hal, I just noticed the other day on the user instructions that, included in the programmable features, timing retard for Knock Control. Had it all along and didn't even know it! Man oH Man, if all else fails read the .... instructions!

Round about last October I got in the car one morning, turned the key and it sputtered and quit. Next thing I see is a wispy column of smoke coming up from the back of the Hood. Popped the hood and had to disconnect it from the battery to get it to stop frying (Install. Inst. does not call for any sort of Breaker between it and the Battery/ power source)

Guess I'll send it off for Service now!

"Re-engineered to be the only true high performance Magnavox style DIS coil pack for Buick V6 engines."

Not a true statement.

Check out:

http://www.espperformance.com/ignition.html

IGN150 ESP HIGH OUTPUT COILPACK $150.00

This unit has been around for years.

We tested one of these and it worked fine, but we also saw no benefit.

Then, we put it in a true racecar and for some reason, after some time, it died.

My question would be "why would you want this coil?".

The type I ("Magnavox") coils have proven to be reliable in racecars well into the 10's and beyond. And if they work under the harsh conditions of the pressure and heat of a turbocharged application, how is more powerful spark useful or better? As long as the spark is strong and the burn is clean, how is more power going to help unless there is a condition(s) hindering it?

In Greg's case with a S/C engine under the hood, I could see how the extra power would be added insurance even though I'd suspect the boost pressures are lower than in a T/C application. Of course, the heat may be equal to or greater depending on the presence of an intercooler.

In the T-R world, using good plug wires and a COMMERCIAL plug one heat range colder (CR43TS for T/Cs) along with some GM Top Engine Cleaner works best to get a clean burn and eliminate detonation. (I'm sure this plug wouldn't be ideal in a Reatta, but maybe a CR-stock-heat-range-TS might?)

Bottom line, in a normally-aspirated application, I'm not sure any benefit would be had. I'd think there would be more interest in converting to a Type II system to have the ability to swap out weak or bad coils individually for less cost.

Daryl Riegel

editor, Turbo Buick Newsletter

Well, it's the American way: If enough is good, more is better.

For me I was just curious if the Type II (Delco) were the bolt in replacement it appeared to be (now have two sets of ignitions and three sets of coils for an investment of about $40, is always good to have a spare, saves a lot of troubleshooting.

Later unit also has the advantage of the separate coils and being a lot more common (is still in use). May be slightly more powerful which won't hurt, maybe not.

Have had the Magnavox coilpack fail before and heard of quite a few more (usually shows up as a misfire at 45-50 mph in lockup when going up a slight grade).

Is just nice to have an option.

Guest Brad Gales

Yes it will work. I purchased the referenced coil pack from JEGS about 6 months ago for my 88 and also installed the AC Delco professional platinum plugs. I can't say that I have noticed any real difference in performance, but there appears to be a marginal increase in fuel economy. However, I can't be certain which item produced the improvement.