1961 Buick Flxibles

Centurion

As noted recently in another post, AutoLit.com has listed a large number of Buick Flxible factory photos for many different years. The 1961 Buicks are among my great favorites, and I couldn't resist sharing these great shots of the Flxible Premiere (extended wheelbase) and Flxette (standard wheelbase) hearses and ambulances. Professional cars are not to everyone's taste, but there's no doubt that these Buicks were beautiful hearses and ambulances. I've never actually seen a '61 Buick hearse or ambulance, although do recall seeing a 1961 Buick extended wheelbase limousine drive through my hometown in 1962, probably headed to the Seattle World's Fair.

Here's a sampling of '61 Buicks:

ac8504.jpgac8505.jpgac8506.jpgac8507.jpgac8508.jpgac8509.jpgac8510.jpgac8511.jpgac8512.jpgac8513.jpg

Guest 70 Electra

Cool! The proportions of the short ones (with their high front ends) remind me of a 60's altered wheelbase drag car! grin.gif

Richard Thomas, a 1960 Buick owner out of Atlanta, has a cool new website about 1960 Buick professional cars. It includes a brief history of the Flxible company.

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_GQmdqHYIYj7PAFx0D/dWVZqmiLif4x90NdmXDtV6cMeHaIxgDPHHsg==

Henry, I thought this was interesting also. One wonders why Flxible did not pattern the rear of its '61 professional cars to be more along the lines of the '61 LeSabre Estate Wagon. You will note that even the tops of the rear quarters appear to slope downward toward the rear of the car -- to a greater extent than on the regular production models.

I wish that some of these photos showed a rear view of the vehicles. It would be interesting to see Flxible's taillamp treatment. At least on the '59, '60, '63, and '64 Flxibles, the standard Buick taillamp assemblies were utilized.

Hey guys,

I'm glad to see there is some interest in professional cars here among the Buick crowd. Did you know you can see a small collection of Flxible Buicks and even a National Buick at an upcoming BCA event? I'll let kitty out of the bag here where the content is appropriate. At the upcoming 2004 Great Lakes Regional, we will have a special Professional Car display of all Buicks. We've made arrangements for part of this private collection to be on display. I know for sure you'll see a 1960 Flxette Service car there. Others will include an ambulance, a combination, and if we're lucky, an Electra based limo.

And if anyone out there knows of one, I've personally been hunting for a 1965 Flxible with Wildcat sheetmetal on the front. If you're aware of one of these professional cars, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan, we'll all be eager to see photos from the upcoming Great Lakes Regional. The very limited production of the Buick professional cars and the small number of survivors give these unique, custom-bodied Buicks a special appeal.

Regarding the '65 Wildcat Flxibles, my understanding is that these were built on the Wildcat series 6200 (standard Wildcat) chassis, but the front fenders and grille treatment were from the Electra 225 series cars. The Electra's wide, ribbed lower body molding was lacking, however, and the cars used the regular LeSabre/Wildcat lower bodyside molding. In contrast, the '66 National-bodied professional cars used the Wildcat grilles, front fenders, and bodyside trim.

The '61 used a custom tail light assembly, it's a triangle shape recessed in the end of the quarter panels. Maybe it was sourced from a '61 Buick Special???

The use of a front bumper on the rear may had been dictated by the placment of the rear opening ambulance door???

Henry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I can reply here. On the 61 Flxibles they did utilize the taillight from the 61 Special. On finding a 65 Flxible, Good luck. They made 2. Several claim to have one when in fact both are MIA. The 65 used a different cowl and commercial glass. The whole roof line was raised. Flxible planned on building a 65' and had full sales literature and the two prototypes finished before it was decieded to discontinue the cars as it was in 52. No pictures (only drawings) have been uncovered of the Premier but I have seen factory pictures of the Flxette and it looks goofy being so short with a raised roof. In 65 all the tooling was sold to National and Flxible went back to busses full time.

That is the same car I saw in the factory photos and according to Flxible it was the only one built. Notice the roof line much higher than a 64. You can really see it in the vent glass.

Guest invicta592

With the front end appearing to be high in the sky, and the back end looking to be down on it's haunches, I hope the vehicles managed to retain their poise when "loaded" grin.gif

What a pity that when I finally pop my clogs, I won't be able to take my last trip in something like this!

Ok after racing home and tearing apart half a room to find my pictures, I did. That is in fact not the car in the photo. That is in fact the last Flxible built. It is the 65 Premier that was built in December of 64. Model FB61-65 which sold for $9200.00. Acording to this it is/was a Premier limo combo not a straight ambulance. Also it was the only "production" car built by Flxible in 65 being that the other was the prototype. Acording to Tom Mcpherson's book the cowl was built by Cadillac to use the higher, wider commercial glass. The Flxette is a white combo that was the pilot prototype built also in late 64. It doesn't suprize me they sold it, they sold all there prototypes. I will buy a scanner and get that picture up here this weekend. I will try to get some butt shots of 59-64 Flxibles up to.

Richard, this is fascinating information. I had not realized that the '65's were produced in such miniscule numbers. Perhaps the California '65 Flxible is not over-priced after all.

Since we're on the subject of Flxibles and you're checking in on this topic, let me pose a couple of questions that you might be able to help with. At the recent Buick Club of America Great Lakes Regional Meet in Pittsburgh, there were a number of Buick professional cars displayed. I did not attend, but I received photos in the mail from a friend yesterday. Among these was a red 1964 extended wheelbase ambulance. My initial reaction was that this vehicle did not have a Flxible body, and I'm curious to learn whether anyone knows who built this coach. If I can make my scanner work, I'll try to scan the photos.

Secondly, John Elmer's 1960 Flxette Service car was displayed. This vehicle appears on your website (see photo below). The vehicle has the blind rear quarter treatment, and my friend noted that the roof area had many waves and imperfections in the metal work. Since the drip rail molding appears to terminate at the rear door, it prompted the question as to whether this style would have had a vinyl roof covering when new. If this were the case, Flxible might have been less concerned about a perfectly smooth metal finish. Do you have a photo of this vehicle when it was first built? Your website scans of the brochure illustrations makes me think that this car is sort of an odd mix of the two styles shown. Any thoughts on this?

002.gif

60flx24.jpg

60flx25.jpg

By the way, I notice that the Fxible script in the brochure illustrations appear below Buick's ventiports on the front fender. The '60 Flxette I've seen locally had the scripts at the front of the front fenders, where Buick's series names normally appeared on the 1960 models.

The side emblems are some what a mystery. I have factory pictures showing them in both places on the Flxettes. Oddly enough the Premiers only have them in front of the wheels. My guess is they originally put them behind the wheels to define the Flxette a little and due to the trouble of filling the "Buick" holes in the front of the fender and drilling more they started putting them all on the front mid year. My cars have them on the front and that saved them time by using some existing holes to line up the Flxible emblem and less work filling holes. As you may have noticed in 61 they were all on the front.

As for the service car, I do not have any pictures of it new but I would assume it had a smooth top. Only because that is what it has now. I will ask Ehmer and see. A crinkle finish was available at no extra cost and it would hide flaws. The crinkle finish was recomended for landau cars but it is hard to say for Ehmers because that is said to be the only service car built in 1960.

To say he found a rare piece is an understatement and to know he gave 300 bucks for it from a junkyard makes me green with envy. I can say that it should have the wreath and 3 chrome bars along the side. As to how it was built they basically took a straight landau and blanked out the side window. All the Landaus had the drip rail stop at the rear door, regardless of the type of surface on the roof. I would be interested to know if the car had rollers or carpet or what was in the back being a service car.

The car is a model FB600-60 Flxette Service Car that would have sold for $6520.00. I have no proof that it was the only one built. That is what Ehmer has told me. How he knows I don't know. I hope he is wrong because I need one and his is not for sale. I need to email him and see if i can get some pictures and more info from him to update my site.

I can probrably help with the 64 when you get it up here but there were several coach builders that would build on a Buick Chassis in the 60's. I could tell you if it was or wasn't Flxible then my mind would go blank.

Hello, all-

I have been following this string with interest, not because I am particularly interested in 'professional cars' - but rather because I worked at Flxible in the mid-late 1970's, as a young engineer. I loved that job! - I also loved the town of Loudonville, where the company was frequently referred to as "Flexy." I remember many of the various offices having old pictures of the glorious products of the past hanging on their walls - usually Clippers (buses) but some interesting and exotic older cars, too.

What has prompted me to make this posting is the statement above "...acording to Tom Mcpherson's book..." Is this a book about the history of Flxible, or is it more concerned with professional cars? If it is about Flxible corporate history in some depth, I would love to find a copy. I was there right after Rohr Industries had owned the company briefly, and then sold it to Grumman Aerospace, and it became known as "Grumman-Flxible," a subsidiary .

Thanks-

Don, the MacPherson book concentrates on the Flxible professional cars.

Here is the best corporate history I've found for the company. At the bottom of each page, click the button to move to the next page. There are also several pages of historical photos that emphasize the company's bus production. These pages are part of the website for the Flxible Owners organization.

http://www.flxible.net/history1.html

They touch base with the busses. There are about 10 pages devoted to busses with lots of pictures. The begining talks about the company as a whole including side cars and busses.

I have what I need to get some pictures up, a scanner. Let me try to get that tomorrow or Wednesday night. I will upload some Flxible butt shots and the 59's. Any other photo request. smile.gif

I need to buy that one as well. I almost bought a 51 Flxible Clipper bus last year.

I almost forgot..... I emailed Ehmer on his service car and he is gathering up everything he can find to send me. He just got back in town so he has not had the time yet. laugh.gif

Hey, gentlemen,

Thanks for all the great feedback! I am buying the book on Flxible, and enjoyed the online history you directed me to, too. It was a great place to work, and the factory is still there - now with a bunch of big MCI buses in / around it, but I have never stopped to see what is going on. Obviously, they are not building the buses, maybe some sort of service facility, don't know.

Thanks again-

I got the pictures scanned but nthe files are to large to post. I am not good with computers at all. I can email them to you if you want. Or you can shrink the files and post for all to see.

I will send them to you the first of this week. Hope you can get them up here. I am in the arm pit of Mississippi for a funeral this weekend. I am surprized they have a phone line for the computer. wink.gif The pictures are in the computer at the house.

What a fascinating thread! I've been following it with great interest, and I read the Flxible history at the site recommended by Brian. It's frustrating that there are no rear view photos. Does anyone know what if any business relationship existed between Buick and Flxible? Did Flxible simply buy "off the shelf" Electras and modify them? Or did Buick supply cars made especially for modification, for example with no tops or trunks? How were the mods done? On the non-stretched models, were the bodies removed from the frame or modified in place? In '61, were Buicks chosen because of ease of modification or price or esthetics or what? Etc, etc, etc.

Christopher, I'm sure that 60Buick will have more information to share with us regarding Flxible's production methods. Regarding the relationship between Buick and Flxible, it was typical for manufacturers of ambulances and hearses to build their vehicles on chassis from a particular automaker.

Flxible traditionally built its coaches on Buick chassis, although there's recently been a '39 Flxible LaSalle ambulance on Ebay. Superior typically built its cars on Cadillac or Pontiac chassis, Cotner-Bevington most often built vehicles using the Oldsmobile chassis, and Henney normally based its professional cars on Packards. Because of the low volumes and extensive custom work required for the manufacture of professional cars, I'm certain that the manufacturers determined that it was most cost effective to select only one or two chassis manufacturers and develop a long-term working relationship.

Regarding Flxible's selection of the Buick chassis for 1961, Buick had been Flxible's principal choice since the 1920's and 1930's. The company discontinued professional car production after 1952, but resumed production during the 1959 through 1965 model years -- and built all of its later cars on Buick chassis.

Flxible used Buicks most of the time but They also used Cadillac, Pontiac and Chevrolet. 90% of all Flxibles were Buick. They had an alliance with Buick since the 20's but would build on anything you drove in the door if you had money. All the hearse people hear I have a Buick hearse and think "Oh, I'm sorry" like I couldn't find a Cadillac. The common misconception is that they were used because they were cheaper but in reality Buick was used for quality and power. They were not sold as a cheaper alternative. In many cases the Flxible cars cost more than there Packard and Cadillac competition. Flxible always advertised the things that made Buick a better platform to build on. It the early days the cars were more custom built and quality came first. Each car was mostly hand built from scratch and adapted to the modified Buick front clip and frame. Flxible cut cost with the way the cars were built(1959-up)and used that to build better cars. Instead of building more from scratch with a commercial Chassis they started with Electra Stripped Chassis and Lesabre stripped Chassis for the Flxette (1960). The Lesabre stripped Chassis were 2 door sedans on convertible frames with Electra drive train and front sheet metal. They had a dash and front seat. No decklid or rear glass. Very basic hulls. The Electras were the same thing only electra 2 door hardtops without the unneeded parts. Basically a cut and splice job. That kept it simple, strong and light. The weight saving was a big plus for ambulances. I have driven 60's and 70's caddy hearses and they are pigs. I can just imagine it burdoned with lights and medical gear. They are to dang heavy to perform. My Buick has one 5.0 under its belt and will just plain fly. I would guess a difference of 2000 pounds or more in weight between the 60 Flx and 60 Caddy. The Flxible is not widened, The floor has a metal frame but wood consruction, Uses standard Buick drivetrain and lots of other parts. The Caddys are metal floor widened as much as 4 inches, much higher roof and heavy drivetrain. The 60 doesn't corner worth a flip due to the top heavy feel but it will and has surprized a few people in accelaration. I have to keep the caddy people in their place, 2nd.

In case anyone following this string might be interested, and might have not seen it - in the latest Hemmings, just out (which they now stupidly call the "November" issue), Page 224, left-most full column ad -

"1935 Buick Model 90 Flxible Hearse, $9,000."

I have no concept of the value of these vehicles, just reporting what I see.

I have very much enjoyed the book on the history of Flxible which you guys directed me to. I was in Loudonville today, and passed by the old factory, as I always do...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 60Buick and others interested-

Sorry so slow to respond, just got home! Went to Hershey, and then on to Cape Cod MA for a Brass-era Tour, where we managed to successfully drive the big 1908 Model S approximately 300 miles under its own power (now that's a challenge!).

The old Flxible Loudonville factory and parking lot is currently full of MCI busses ("Motor Coach Industries" I believe it stands for). A search on the internet tells me that MCI is using the building for retro-fitting wheelchair lifts into exisitng busses; and also for general service / parts use. They have other loations around the country also. That is all I know.

Don, thanks for the update on the Flxible factory. In case you missed it, you might enjoy seeing this thread, where we had posted photos taken inside the Flxible factory during 1959.

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=247452&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

By the way, we would really enjoy seeing some photos of your big 1908 Buick on its 300 mile trip! Any chance you could start a new thread for that purpose?

60Buick has furnished a photo showing a rear view of a 1961 Buick Flxible. In reference to earlier comments from this thread, Flxible utilized a '61 Buick front bumper as the rear bumper, and the taillamps were standard units from a '61 Buick Special. Flxible integrated these stock Buick items into an attractive rear-end assembly:

2031961_flxible_rear.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Guest 60Buick

I did hear from Ehmer on his 60 Flxible service car. He says the paint is mostly the original paint. The car never had the wreath or chrome bars. The model number on the firewall does not exist acording to the Flxible book. I am not saying the car is a fake, quite the opposite. I believe it was a custom order. I have the name of the original funeral home that bought it and if they are still around I am going to call them. He will get me more info on the car when he gets time.

As for adding some more Flxibles to my stable, I have 1 sitting in Missouri waitng to ship and 2 in California waiting to ship. I don't know to much about them till they are home safe in Georgia.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd dredge this one out again, for those who might be interested and hadn't noticed. There are a whole bunch of Flxible factory photos that have shown up on eBay, from the 30's through 1964. Just do a search for "Flxible." There's about 50 of them.

Dear sir,

I own a blue with a black texured top 1961 buick flxette, soon to be sold to a man in TN.i dont have alot of pic's(sorry). She runs good. The intrer is in OK shape. I have done sooooo much research! got alot of tid-bits of info. I am told that there is only 3 still known and one is white and the other is black,and mine is blue.I would be more than glad to answer(the best i can)any questions you may have...e-mail to aimmikespud@hotmail.com title it "hearse" so i will be sure to read it...thnx, Mike

Morty Mike, your arrival here is a surprising development! Please tell your Flxette's new owner about the BCA and about this forum; we would enjoy hearing more. If the new owner can share some photos, so much the better.

Are you familiar with your car's history? We're interested in whatever information you can provide.

Thanks for posting here.