1926 Dodge Bros Depot Hack

OK guys, let me try this....I need help restoring this vehicle...need interior information and other basics...will send pictures if need or what else do you need?

Here is a picture of CD's "new" depot hack. She emailed me last night for information. Unfortunately I don't have knowledge on that vintage Dodge.<P>She is joining the Dodge Bros. Club, which is a good idea. And I have suggested she write to the Chrysler Historical Collection. Any other information of suggestions for her?<P>DodgeDepotHack.jpeg<BR><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://www.ply33.com" TARGET=_blank>Plymouth: The First Decade</A>

CD - When restored, these DB depot hacks are just a delight to look at. Recommend that after you join the DB Club you get all the back issues of the club publication that you can. I got my '23 touring back in '91 and those back issues really helped me understand not only how to restore the car, but also how to make it truly a "dependable Dodge", just like the vintage ads say. Keep us posted on your progress. grin.gif<p>[This message has been edited by ted schneider (edited 12-06-2000).]

My father just faxed me the paperwork from the auction he bought the truck from and it says this is a 1927...how do we find out for sure what year it is?<BR>There is tag on the firewall that says "ALL STEEL FULL VISION BUDD BODY". What does that mean? <BR>Any more information is greatly appreciated.<BR>CD

Corrine-you need be put on you Sherlock Holmes outfit for more detective work. The firewall plate could mean that the car originally was a sedan that was coverted to the Depot Hack, or maybe all the production cars and light trucks had the Budd plate, even though the trucks most likely didn't have a complete Budd body. I don't know what DB's practices were at that time. If you give me the vehicle serial number and engine number I will look them up in my 1927 Master Parts List and give you the approximate date of manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...

The vehicle is not running at this time and has not run for at least 30 years. I am restoring it for my father so he can cruise around Martha's Vineyard all summer. The speed limit on the Island is in cync with the speed limit of the Depot Hack. <P>Can anyone help me out on where to get restoration information on this vehicle? I have tried all of your suggestions but I haven't made any progress. I just heard from the Dodge Bros Club and I am hoping they will help but I think I will need all the help I can get....Please ask everyone you know to look at this picture and reply, your help is greatly appreciated and needed!!! As for me, I'll keep digging and begging for help!

Corinne - come on, a little patience here! I plan to dig out my back copies of the DB Club News and identify the past articles about these depot hacks, 26/27 light trucks, etc. and copy them for you. Plus, as promised, I will look up the serial numbers on your vehicle. However, I may not be able to complete this until after Christmas. grin.gif

This vehicle is a close match to a station wagon like vehicle manufactured by JT Cantrell of Huntington, NY for Photo see The Dodge Story By Thomas McPherson Page 46

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Corrine! Happy New Year. grin.gif: Ran into a slight problem on your vehicle serial #. The 1927 DB Master Parts Book cuts off vehicle numbers at the end of January 1927. Looks like your chassis/body was made in February 1927, so will have to find my other vehcile serial number list. And as promised will find the DB Club articles about depot hacks. I'm curious whether DB sent sedans, light trucks or export chasses to these outside wood body makers. Also, if the C series engine is correct the actual number looks about right, as it should have been at least 50,000 higher that the chassis serial number.<BR>Will be back in touch.

Dodge Bros. may not have made a depot hack!Ford as many of you know,did not make a hack either.There were many,many companies producing a variety of bodies to be used with the many chassis/motor manufacturers of the early days.Syverson Co. was one of these body makers.Another was Ford in S.Carolina(not related to Henry Ford,but certainly cashing in on the name!)The body makers stamped a ser.# on their work,and people like Ford and Dodge stamped a # on theirs'. regards,Mike Bartlett

It's well documented that DB did not make depot hacks. In fact, the hacks are not listed as a body type in the master parts catalog. I'm trying to locate the names in my files of the wood body fabricators that they used, at least two if not more, including Cantrell mentioned above. I think that DB shipped special export type bodies based on the light trucks to these fabricators. But there may have been other methods also. Under any circumstances, these vehicles were definitely DB including all the sheet metal. They are quite rare and<BR>very collectable - one was exhibited at Hershey about 4 years ago and got a lot of spectator attention.

Mid to late 20's, I know Chevy and a few other dealers would order a bodyless chassis to sell to a customer who would then take the vehicle to a carrige maker to have a body put on it, but your body looks to be one of the "ready-made" that was sold either to a customer, or put on later. Decent job, I must say. Have seen some really cobbled ones. Wish I could remember the name of a book I had on custom truck bodies,..I would suggest going to the American truck museum at Aurburn, Indiana, site for info, it is related with the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, and they are working hard to promote antique trucks and such. There was a Company that bought chassis from Dodge and manufactured wood bodies in Loogootee, Indiana, it was related to the Graham Paige Trucks,..and they owned a bit of Dodge earlier,..but I am a bit fuzzy on that at the moment, and don't have all my notes,...trying to recall what issue of Indiana Historical Bulletin that was. Try the "Cruise-In" Website on Indiana produced cars, and ask about the article "A long way to Loogotee." Afraid I lost a few issues of my Indiana Bulletins, but I do recall they used DB chassis, and were very well built.<BR>RS

Corrine - Here's some of the basic information about your vehicle. The chassis was produced sometime in early Feb. 1927. Serial #A850,000 was Jan. 29th and #A860,000 was Feb. 12th. Vehicles from July to June were known as the 1927 series. The C- series engine number looks about right because DB engine numbers ran at least 50,000 higher than chassis numbers.<P>The depot hack was a special order vehicle and the DB practice at the time seems to be that a dealer took the depot hack order, notified the factory which shipped a commercial car (light truck) chassis to the body fabricator, who installed the custom body with interior (these appear to be made to a common spec. for the DB chassis and were not all that custom), the completed unit was then shipped back to the factory (it's not clear to me why - maybe the fenders and splash aprons were fitted there, and then the finished vehicle shipped to the dealer. I have seen references to Suburban in 1923, Estate Car in 1925 and later, Depot Hack and Station Wagon. The Suburban was a three-door model, seating 7, others appear to be 4 door models with 3 seats.<P>J.T. Cantrell, Huntington, NY seems to be the maker of your vehicle, based on the appearance of the photo. Cantrell's bodies were made of oak, ash and maple, and when restored are truly beautiful. Looks like Cantrell had a long relationship with DB. But there were other fabricators, i.e. H.H. Babcock, Watertown, NY who made steel body estate cars and other special orders, and I believe also some wood body versions. The earliest DB depot hack type vehicle looks to be a 1918. It may be that DB also used other fabricators, because they had a diverse line-up of special vehicles like hearses, limos, taxis, coach built cars, etc. available.<P>Corrine, the reason that I posted this on the AACA DF is I thought others would like to see the info and also might have better info than I have. I have some older articles and the names and addresses of other owners of these type vehicles. Send me your address or fax number and I will get these to you. Hope you had a happy New Year! Let?s get this DB on the road again.<BR> grin.gif<BR>

Ted, My Fax # and address are on their way via email....can't wait to see what you have for me! It's snowing here in Boston, so I chose to stay in and download pictures all night! Sent you some of those too, can't post 'em here 'cause I can't figure out how! but feel free to post 'em for me. <BR>Is there any way we can find out who owned the car that was in Hershey? My father saw one at Harrah's in Reno but can't find all the picture he took...does any one know about that one?<P>IndianaGuy, you want me to go where? I may go to Memphis, TN (for work)next month and Laughlin, Nevada in April (for the River Run)....anything closer to those places? Or Boston, maybe? <P>Thanx to everyone for their help! Much appreciated! Corinne

I would be interested in viewing photos of Dodge depot hacks from the 1922-1927 time period. How about someone telling us how to submit photos to this discussion group. I would like to post a photo of a Babcock estate Car. There may be other owners who have "depot hacks" that go unidentified. My car was sold as a depot Hack but is one of only three positively identified Babcock Estate cars in existence. I wonder how many Cantrells are out there waiting to be Id'd. photos will aide those wishing to positively ID their vehicle. confused.gif

I found some pictures of another Woody Depot Hack, probably a Ford but the body is simmilar. I am going to try to get someone to scan and save them on a disk for me so they can be posted. Paneling config is 4 mine has 3, has tiny dash--mine has full dash, has no cowl like mine, seats are very different. Maybe the body was made by the same company?

Corrine - I have names, etc. of these DB depot hack owners including the guy who lives in PA and shows this fine vehicle at Hershey most years. FYI your D series engine is a five main bearing, two electric unit, single clutch version that was in production starting at serial #898022.

Corinne - spelled it right this time, the Harrah's DB is in one of the articles I have from the late 80s. I believe that this collection of antique cars has been broken up and sold. One of the articles shows a DB factory bulletin with a drawing, specs., etc. It's called a Station Wagon Body (1924). It's interesting to note that DB had 4 commerical car chassis configurations for special order cars, with the depot hacks listed on chassis #1.

It was Auburn, Indiana, and the National Truck Museum, but I see you got a WORLD of info already,...by the way,..someone asked why the vehicles were returned to the factory after a body was put on it,..that was usually, at least in the midwest, due to the fact that the money was paid either in cash or installments to the dealer, and many companies would not send out a car to the dealer until after the payment had been received from the dealer. This practice went on until the depression, and it was only after the 30's that banks were involved regularly in the business of loans for cars.<P>RS

Hey Babcock Boy, Nice picture Tod posted. I've already seen that picture...I want to see more recent ones! Or just more!<P>Ted, your email is full...can't send you my address and I'm not posting it! Please delete and make space for me! (you didn't answer yet -- do you remember the year of the one at Harrah's)<BR> <BR>IndianaCarGuy, good info. Tried to find that website you mentioned above "Cruise-In" but no luck? Do you have the URL? Can you post it? (If you have trouble, ask Tod, he seems to be the expert on copy and paste when it's not that simple! AND what a fine job he does!)<P>

Ted, Sent! With 2 new pictures. Midnight here....goodnight! and thanks again. (I have to try Tod's instructions to post these pictures...but not tonight, later...)