Questions on pictures

Guest Debby

Guest imported_Debby

OK, we(my husband & I) are thinking about going to Florida to the Zephyrhills car show. I would like to take pictures to bring back and put in my newsletter. I might not be able to catch each owner of each car to get permission. Do I need it for every car? Can I take a wide picture of several with out trouble? If we go I would like to catch some one to talk about their car. Here in NY, we have lots of snow and cold so warm weather, green grass, and a good show is just what my readers need.

I always figure that if the cars are on display and there are no "no cameras allowed" signs posted anywhere, then I am free to snap away. Of course, if I got a story out of any of the participants, I'd ask them for their name and address so that I could mail them a copy or two of the issue. That always goes over big!

Jan K.

Wis Region

Guest imported_Debby

Thanks, I was hoping that was the way it was. I have never seen any signs, I took pictures at the auction in Alantic City and they did not care. I also I took pictures in Daytona and they did not care.

If I do go and take pictures of a certain car and got a story from them I would send them a copy as I send my brother-in-law one but I pay for the copying and postage on my own just because he sent me information aout his car that he just got, 1984 Mercedes-Benz in mint shape.

What do you say -

written permission by

copyed from (article)

sent from

That sort of thing or do you have a certain things you have to put?

Debbie, Jan K is right - during a public display, such as at meets, parades, etc., it is news and there are no restrictions on use of photos. Use of a photo from copyrighted documents does require approval. For example, the cover of my next newsletter will have a photo from the cover of a recently published best seller. Contacted the author and he said use it as long as I send him two copies. Sending complimentary copies in these cases is a "cost of doing business" and should be charged in the newsletter budget. Don't get in the habit of assuming you must pay the bill from your own pocket. The good will is well worth the minor expense to the region budget.

When Vern and I were editors we often featured car photos on the cover of the Beam, but asked for a story to go along with it. Then we provided up to six copies of the issue to the author, so he or she could share it with friends and family. We considered this a marketing expense and the region gladly covered it. Besides, without those stories, we would have had a hard time finding enough content for the issue--and our members wanted content!

Jan K.

Wis Region

• 2 weeks later...