Finally got a Reatta - have some general questions.

Hello all.

I finally got a Reatta. Always wanted one, but couldn't part with the other cars to afford a nice, low mileage convertible. (I have a 73 GS Stage 1, 86 Regal T Type, 89 Lesabre T Type, 87 Regal T clone, and a 79 Century Turbo coupe). I needed a car to actually use, so I didn't want a show car. I finally found a silver 90 coupe. I picked the 90 over the 89 basically because of the touch screen. I really wanted that toy, but didn't need the hassle of it going bad. I really don't like the airbag steering wheel, but that was a trade-off. No 16-way, no sunroof. It has 144000 miles, and by the feel of the drive and ride, I'd swear it had only 25000. It needs a few things, some I took care of, and others I'm working on. A couple of the "light" questions I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but have to learn what I can about this car. If I'm asking a question that has already been asked, I apologize, and if someone can point me to the existing posts, that'd be awesome. Or any general answers would be great.

Read some posts about the wheel bearings. Had this problem, and its corrected.

I wanted to change both headlights. Seems like a simple enough job, but the headlight ring bottm is not screwed in like on the cars I'm used to. Seems there is a spring holding it on from the bottom, but I can't see where it goes. I saw the instructions for doing the motors, which I don't need, and I think some more dissassembly may be needed.

I've read posts about this one, and I'll look into it more tomorrow. I need to change the driver's side rear-most marker bulb. The one behind the cornering lamp. I don't see how thats possible without removing the assembly. I saw instructions for that somewhere.

Fog lamp adjustment isn't as easy as it should be. It really doesn't seem to move.

Did the 1990 model come with a remote entry? I read a little about the illuminated locks, which I have, but thought it would have a remote.

Speaking of illuminated locks, the driver's side one doesn't work. Any info on fixing that?

Looks like I may need the headlight/parking light/dash-dimmer switch. I was sliding the dimmer, trying to dim the dash a little. Something broke inside, of course, then the dash went dim. Then by itself it got bright. That's a $150 item. Is this hard to do myself?

Needs a power antenna. I see replacement non-GM antennas all over ebay. Anyone ever try one of these? It doesn't seem to difficult to get out.

Can anything be done for the cloudy taillight. I've seen worse, but mine is certainly not like new.

Is there a place for replacement carpet? Does anyone know if thats a big job?

Thanks for any info anyone can give.

Joe

Nice list of cars, must have a really big garage! Welcome grin.gif

I wanted to change both headlights. Seems like a simple enough job, but the headlight ring bottm is not screwed in like on the cars I'm used to. Seems there is a spring holding it on from the bottom, but I can't see where it goes. I saw the instructions for doing the motors, which I don't need, and I think some more dissassembly may be needed.

A: There should be two screws on the top and bottom holding a conventional s/s retaining ring. The only spring I can think of is part of the headlight aiming system and is attached to the headlight bucket, not the retainer ring.

I've read posts about this one, and I'll look into it more tomorrow. I need to change the driver's side rear-most marker bulb. The one behind the cornering lamp. I don't see how thats possible without removing the assembly. I saw instructions for that somewhere.

A: I have changed mine from below, although it has to be done more by feel that visually. Put it up on ramps and it will help.

Fog lamp adjustment isn't as easy as it should be. It really doesn't seem to move.

A: No answer for that one, maybe someone else can help.

Did the 1990 model come with a remote entry? I read a little about the illuminated locks, which I have, but thought it would have a remote.

A: Remote entry is standard equipment. You should just need the key fob, and the car will allow you to program it to match the system already in place. The receiver is located in the left rear of the trunk.

Speaking of illuminated locks, the driver's side one doesn't work. Any info on fixing that?

A: It is illuminated by a fiberoptic tube which runs from the courtesy lights in the doors. If the lights at the lower rear of the door work, the most likely cause is the fiberoptic is not connected or routed correctly.

Looks like I may need the headlight/parking light/dash-dimmer switch. I was sliding the dimmer, trying to dim the dash a little. Something broke inside, of course, then the dash went dim. Then by itself it got bright. That's a $150 item. Is this hard to do myself?

A: Never had to do it, but I have had that area apart and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone else can help?

Needs a power antenna. I see replacement non-GM antennas all over ebay. Anyone ever try one of these? It doesn't seem to difficult to get out.

A: There are at least a couple of used Reatta parts vendors that frequent this site and probably have the part you need.

Can anything be done for the cloudy taillight. I've seen worse, but mine is certainly not like new.

A: I use Mequire's plastic polish once or twice a year to keep it decent looking. Many others have used a variety of products, try the archives for other suggestions.

Is there a place for replacement carpet? Does anyone know if thats a big job?

A: There were several posts about this and you should find what you need in the archives. I believe Barney Eaton has replacement floor mats too.

Lemme take a stab at a few of your questions....

The fog lights are not adjustable. If there is something really wrong with their aim or position, you may have a bent or mis-installed mounting bracket.

I used meguiars #2 on my taillight for a couple years and have switched to <span style="font-style: italic">AeroShell Flight Jacket Plexicoat</span> which is designed for aircraft plastic windshields and is a superior product for this application.

The fiber optic connection to the illuminated key hole is supplied by the door mounted courtesy light. it usually becomes disconnected at the light itself. If you pop the lower rear corner of the interior trim, you should be able to re-plug the fiber into the housing.

On the subject of keyless entry fobs, you can get aftermarket fobs to work with the system from www.remotesunlimited.com or look around on Ebay. The fob you want is a 4 button rectangular unit. As keyless entry was not standard on most Buicks back then, the correct remote is rare and expensive. Cadillacs used the same remotes though and they are widely available and cheap. I am currently using the remotes that came with my '94 Concours for the Reatta and they work fine. Programming them is a cinch, should take you 3 minutes, tops. instructions are at www.reatta.net or search this forum.