Buick parts book - or microfiche?

Guest imported_TheColossusofRoads

I currently own a '96 Park Avenue Ultra. I have been told that GM quit making printed dealer parts books around 1993 and uses a microfiche system wherein parts, numbers, and assemblies can be viewed. I have found in the past that printed parts books are very handy when making repairs or seeking parts. The exploded views with part numbers are especially helpful.

My question is this: How can I get copies of the microfiche (not 100% sure if this is correct) "cards" that dealers use, showing the information for a particular year and model? Or is there still printed material available for post '93 Buicks?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TCOR

Check on eBay. I found the microfiche for my wife's 2002 Bonneville on eBay. I asked the garage about this and they told me you could still order a hard copy of the manual from a company listed in your owners manual. Not sure if this is true for Buicks but there was a form for it in the Pontiac literature we recieved with the new Bonneville.

One other question I should have added in my original post - I am told these microfiche cards can be read on machines that public libraries are likely to have. If this is the case, they are probably a good investment. If not, how could the information on them be viewed? (As you can see, this is totally new to me)

Thanks again to the above posters for the help - a great group of folks on this site.

RB

Microfiche might have been available, but I don't recall very many -- if any -- GM dealers that bought it, opting for the paper books instead. Ford, on the other hand, had everything on microfiche and AMC had microfiche when it was really AMC (i.e., pre-Chrysler purchase). The problem with microfiche is that it can get brittle with age and can be scratched pretty easily. In theory, I suspect that a public library microfiche reader might work to read it with, but how many of those are still around? Not to mention the extreme bulkiness of them.

There were typically four revisions of the parts book publications per year, especially for the newer and then, more current models. As time went on, some of the earlier part numbers were dropped out of the books too, but still might have been available until existing stock was depleted. Therefore, if you wanted a good reference book for, say a 1970 Buick, you'd need a 1970 printing parts book instead of the "pre-1975" compilation, which came later.

Generally, you'll need to look for a parts book that is not more than about three years newer (printing/revision date) than the vehicle you have (just from my experience). This ensures that the vehicle in question was still new enough at that time to have a full parts listing in it. But if you buy one of the CD products, I suspect it will be using that particular year's applicable parts book instead of one of the later versions, but I have no knowledge if that's the case or not.

Currently, the best option would be to purchase one of the "parts books on CD" products from a reputable vendor. Some have just the parts book, others also include the service manual and some sales literature too, so shopping around can be valuable for content PLUS price. Perhaps some of the other participants have some experience with these vendors?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

TCOR (great name!!!)

I have a 2003 Rendezvous and purchased the shop manual - a 2 volume set- from the company listed in the back of the owners manual. It was pricy at $120 but each volume is 2 inches thick and 8-1/2" x 11" format. It's loaded with the information you talked about. Go to www.helminc.com to search their site for your car. Hope you find what you are looking for.