Northstar Conversion

Guest Geoff Fender

Guest imported_Geoff Fender

The time has come. The engine and transmission in my Reatta are on their last legs. They both leak fluid, the transmission slips, so now seems like a perfect time to perform the Northstar conversion I have been dreaming about. But I need some help. If you have any answers to any of the following questions, please post them or e-mail me.

1. How to mount the engine

2. How to make the computers (new Northstar ECM and old Reatta BCM) communicate to each other

3. Will the CRT screen still work?

4. What else will I have to change?

Any additional advice or comments would also be helpful. Thanks.

Well, you are going to need a P4 ECM (actually PCM - Powertrain control module) so hopefully is from a pre-OBD (93-95 ?) car. Depending on what it came out of, the half shafts may be too long (no idea if Northstar shaft will fit a Reatta hub).

I understand that a number have been fitted to Fieros, I would start there.

The PCM<->CRT issue is more complicated. Since no-one I have found has the information necesaary to reprogram the BCM (which provides the CRT information), the Northstar ALDL data stream will need to be diddled to match what the Reatta BCM expects. Otherwise the CRT will display something but it will be rong.

Suspect it could be done in a few days by someone knowlegable and able to burn PROMs (which are probably 27C512s and not 27C256s) and then test on the car - would expect to take a few cycles.

Other than that, best to get the Northstar complete with all accessories, brackets, and wiring harnesses because all will be different.

Padgett, do you think that it would be easier to use a 4.9 or 4.5 liter V8 from an earlier Cadillac (1989 Seville) instead of the Northstar? Perhaps a little less complicated?

You would be right, the turbo installation looks nice. I would love to have that short exit for the exhaust! That is probably the toughest part, snaking the exhaust back out past all the stuff in the way. Kinda interesting that they consider the knock sensor to be part of the Stage 2 setup, I wouldn't be without it. I appreciate the link EDSO.

As soon as I get the time, I'm going to contact the Fiero people and see what, if anything, they can do for me. A lot of the stuff in the package I would not need. Thanks for all the help, keep the ideas coming.

I believe the 4.5-4.9 Caddy engines were pushrod style where the Northstar is overhead cam which is wider. It would certainly be a hoot if it could be made to fit. I think I saw where the Northstar is now being installed in one of Pontiac's high performance models to replace the S/C 3800 and they gained performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed update, but I have been away from my computer for a while. After much research and talking to a friend of mine at the local Cadillac dealership, he is the service manager, I have come to the conclusion that the time, expense, and frustration otherwise is not worth a V8. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to this conversion, but right now it's just not in the cards. Thanks for everyone's help.