Bengal/Blackhawk/Brock Yates

ranchero

Just got and read the new (November) issue of Car & Driver. Seems Brock Yates also has a soft spot for Buicks - his dad, learned to drive, first car, etc. His column in the new issue though is not all touchy-feely Buick. He restates what seems obvious to many - the division, with only four 4 door sedans and an untested SUV/mini-van, may not live to see a 100th anniversary in 2003 unless something incredible is done to bring in buyers. Yates is encouraged by the GM's hiring of a real car guy in Bob Lutz and he hopes that one of Lutz' first assignments is bringing something exciting to Buick. Then the mediocre Bengal is discussed (looks like a "kielbasa") and the exciting alternative Buick may have with a "5/8 scale Blackhawk". <P>The column is must (but probably not pleasant) reading for any Buick fan who hopes the marque does not join Oldsmobile.

Our local Buick dealer ship was a Buick , Pontiac , GMC truck but just recently I spotted some Chevys there and it just sent chills up my spine. Accross the road they (the same dealership) have Jeep ,Chrysler ,Dodge , and in my close by home town have recently bought the Chevy dealership .<P>The Pontiacs and Chevys just plain look better . The Regal - Century are nice but they look the same - for cryin' out loud , and the Bonneville is just plain sexier!<P>Pontiac has always been my least favorite GM since late 60's because they always had that grill thing going on, but they have finally pulled it in and have a darn nice looking car.<P>Buicks body designers have got to get it together and give us a sexy car . Thats whats selling . They need sporty looking four door cars , with a 2dr. counterpart. They have got to do it now and get it out there . Not design it and call it a concept car and parade it around to car shows and talk about it , discuss it , ware it out then produce it once its one or two years behind the rest.<P>Just shut-up and do it!<P>Buick - Will they be there? Olds won't! <P>That commercial makes me want to scream because I know what they are really saying.

I am afraid that there is no reason for anyone who likes cars to go to a Buick dealership to have a look around. In my life there usually has been something at the Buick store to attract people who like cars: first Skylark, '50s Century; '60s Skylark; first Riviera; Wildcat; GS; big LeSabre & Riviera convertibles; GNX; Reatta; final Riviera. People who like cars can relate to some or most of those cars. Don't know how any of the cars on a Buick lot now can stir the passion of any person who likes cars. And that v-6 fwd Bengal is not going to do it for me.

Guest Skyking

I just came in from car hunting today. My wfe and I are planning to buy a new car. Our latest is a 89 LeBaron. Great car but millage is high and we feel that we should buy a new car. After searching several dealerships (all american) I noticed walking around in car lot's we couldn't tell the difference between the new ones and the older ones. We had to look at the window stickers to tell if they were 2002 cars. Years ago you could spot a new car right away. Today they all look the same. I don't care what car it is. Well, we took a new LeSabre out for a test drive and will probably buy one. I'm not overly impressed with the looks (too round) but I always liked Buicks and I know it would be a dependable car.......