Heater I.D. please!

Jolly_John

It looks like the factory (or dealer) intstalled under-dash heater/defroster installed in my 1940 Special. I couldn't tell for sure from the picture, but it looked as if there were defroster outlets on the left side of your unit. The outlets on the 1940 take 1 1/2" defroster hose. My car has both an under-dash heater/defroster and an under-seat heater. I believe that if a car was ordered with defrosters, it had to have the under dash unit. The under-seat heater may have been an extra beyond the under-dash heater/defroster.

John ... I think it is a '38. The center strip and emblem design look like a '38 grille and the ornament is consistent with the 1938 style. The Septemeber, 1937 issue of Buick Magazine shows two heaters for 1937 models, both of which are different from the one you've pictured. There was a Deluxe heater and a Master heater, the later being smaller and "recommended for milder climates." These same two heaters are shown in the 1938 salesperson's facts book and the December, 1937 announcement number for 1938 models, but perhaps the artwork had not been updated for 1938 cars (or a newer style heater was released later than the print date for these early 1938 model year publications). The 1939 heater had the 1939 Buick badge, pointed at the bottom, in the 1939-40 style, on one door, I believe. (I had a very early '40 Special Convertible with a '39 heater of that description.) The 1939 heaters were not shown in any of the '39 Buick magazines I have, but it does call out as "Buick Air Control" and "Master" heaters in the options list, suggesting there was not a "Deluxe" heater for 1939. Summation: We know it's not a '37 or '40; very unlikely a '39 -- which takes us back to 1938. Terry