dynaflow rebuild $2,700 ????

Guest wildcat65401

Guest wildcat65401

okay ,

hi all,

my 63' riv' tranny is now finally no good. it was rebuilt two years ago for $2,700 . my friend the previous owner had this done , I had the receipt so i know it happened .

I can't find anyone here in atlanta who will rebuild it for me except one guy who wants ..........[wait for it ] $ 3,000 !!!!! great eh ?

I really think this is WAY too much money I think 800 to 900 mabye seeing as how a full rebuild kit is $430.

So have any of you had your dynaflow twin turbine two speed transmission rebuilt ? And how much did it cost AND did it last more than two years ?

I'm at a loss at this point as to what to do ????????

thanks ,

Paul .

Guest 53and61

Paul,

As I've posted here in the past: you can rebuild your Dynaflow yourself. Except for the converter, the Dynaflow is the simplest automatic transmission there is. If you have a clean work space, a manual, occasional help (they're heavy) and no time limit, it's fun. I was intimidated by the idea at first but brought my '53 Dynaflow back from the dead myself, and I'm no pro.

$2,700 or $3,000 seems excessive to me. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have numerous resources who are familiar with and willing to rebuild or otherwise work on Dynaflows. I suspect that more research will yield some additional resources in your area.

For comparison, my '59 Buick has the extra-cost and notoriously complex Flight Pitch/Triple Turbine Dynaflow. The prior owner had the transmission rebuilt in 1997 for a tad over $1,500. (I have the receipt.) A regular Dynaflow should be less expensive to rebuild -- perhaps significantly less expensive. I have driven the car about 12,000 miles since I acquired it, and had the transmission inspected after I returned from Flint (5,000-mi. round trip). Everything looked fine.

If the transmission rebuilder for your Riviera was competent, the transmission should certainly have lasted longer than two years (especially given the cost of the rebuild). If done correctly, the rebuilt Dynaflow should have provided many years of trouble-free service.

Are you certain that another rebuild is required? A Dynaflow expert could help analyze the problem. If you are not involved with a nearby BCA Chapter, I recommend that you get in contact with one. Other Buick owners in your area will certainly know who the competent Dynaflow experts are.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Paul, I just spoke with someone in Spartanburg SC today about rebuilding my 1954 Dynaflo and he quoted $1,000-1,500. I thought that was a little bit high at first but after talking to 3 different guys in his shop that probably had 120 years of combined experience I was ready to haul my Roadmaster over there.They seem to know there stuff.Here is the number if you want to call, ask for Lance.

Jack Smith Transmission 864-585-9266

I've been told there is also someone here in Athens, but I have yet to figure out where they are. Will let you know if I do.

We had ours rebuilt for about $850 with a 3000 mile warranty. The shop is in Greenville, IL (Don's Transmission Shop) - they even had hard parts in stock!!!

They will keep the car indoors while the work is done. It might be worth your while to go North for the Winter.

If you want to pull the tranny out yourself, Buick World in Washington state will sell you a rebuilt unit for about $1500. The catch is ofcourse that you have to remove and install the transmission.

Don't pay $3000 .. it's a rip off.

Cheers!

Guest wildcat65401

Hey christopher ,

Thamks for your swift reply . I know you've told me I can rebuild it . I just don't have the time or the clean workspace . I drive the Riv everyday and I work all day , so I need to pay someone who really knows what they're doing .

Thanks for encourageing me though !! Mabye I'll do the next one .

I'll let you know what happens .

Paul.

Guest wildcat65401

Well , the thing is ...

I heard of a guy that will do it for $275 plus parts . A delux rebuild kit is $430 plus dep. so we're talking around $700 plus transporting it too and from the guy plus removall and reinstalling , so ...

I spoke to another shop here in Atlanta , a guy with 40 years exp. he said "mabye" he could do it for $1,000 depending on what parts of mine he could keep ,since they're so new .

Anyway , we'll see . I'll find out asap which one Im going to end up doing and let you know what happens , okay .

thanks , Paul.

Guest wildcat65401

Well,

I called the shop that rebuilt it two years ago ,[roswell transmission]. They said send it out and they'll look at it so......... I'm going to do that and see what they say . Though I'm not holding my breath .

I'll let you know what happens .

Paul.

Paid $2050.00 for my 76R transmission to be rebuilt by the local shop with the best reputation around. They aso but new rear seal in my engine.Excellent job 3 years ago.