a petition to GM

Oldsman71

We over at Aleromod.com have put a petition together to get GM to allow either a plastic or die-cast model or even a hotwheel made of an Alero which will be the last car Oldsmobile ever produces.

For those of you that want a piece of history and the last of an legend please read and sign. Hopefully GM will listen to us Olds people this time.

http://www.petitiononline.com/osvalero/petition.html

Oldsman, that's where the licensing fee comes in.

Way back when, the factories had promo models made that the dealers either gave to long-time or prospective customers, or sold to anyone who wanted one. The Alero model would come under the same guidelines, the manufacturer would just have to make sure GM got its cut. What they're worried about is making enough money off the model to pay for the tooling and the GM license.

Plus with a marque that is on its way into history, I doubt GM really wants to do anything for the Olds enthusiast. They blew that market years ago, due in whole to their own shortsightedness and corporate stupidity. Yes, they made some damned stupid decisions about their product.

On the old Oldsmobile website (a couple months ago)the was a section for info on the final 500 collectable Oldsmobiles. In the merchandise section, there was a posting to purchase models of the Final 500 cars. It stated info would be released at a later date. On the new website, there is no mention of the models. I wonder what happened?

Not enough interest, that is what happened! Not enough interest by GM people and not enough interest by dealers. Prior to the production of the '50 Olds "club" car, I had brought a truck load of Olds collectibles to Detroit for review. We had several makers of die-casts and other auto related memorabilia there. There was interest to produce a variety of items. However, with the rapid deterioration of the Olds network and the unwillingness for anyone to gamble on "bank-rolling" these ventures, the projects fell apart. There has to be a firm business case for a company to produce an item. Dealers, certainly were not going to order these items anymore and so the gauranteed orders just were not there. It is a shame since there were some very neat ideas. I am particularly unhappy that the "porcelain" sign with the new logo was not produced. I could go on forever on this subject but you now have it in a nutshell.

If a Olds club of any type wanted to produce a model or other item, it can easily be done. However, they would have to meet the minimum number for production. This would not be inexpensive. frown.gif