Dual 4's on a 425

I am building a 425 and have a dual 4 setup for it. I read that the distributor needed to to be advanced to 12 degrees timing versus 5 degrees for a single 4. Also, that the distributor should be recurved. Am I correct and can anyone tell me what weights I should tell the auto parts store that I need? I am building this engine for a 1965 Riviera and I have a second dual 4 setup for my Wildcat GS that will need the same modifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

The engine will turn over, start, and run fine with the dist you have now. There will be a noticable improvement with the 2x4 weights and springs, though. If you have an auto parts store that stocks these...I want their address!! The difference in distributors is in the weights and springs.See pic for comparison. I had a spare set, I lent them to a guy in Alaska to make copies of...of course, he has disappeared The 2x4 setup is on the right...Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest n2buick

Wouldn't the correct timing be effected by whether or not the cam is changed out.

I believe the 2X4 set up came with a different cam.

I know when I put the duals on mine, I had problems with the timing at the 12 degree setting, and brought it back down around 5, and it definitely was better.

Jeff