Adjusting parking brake?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

I adjusted the parking brake cable as per instructions in FSM however I find I must tighten until one lever is a little off it's stop to have effective Parking Brake. Normal? FSM says both levers should rest on stops with parking brake off.

Still wishing someone would review the Caliper and Pad part numbers I posted in an earlier post. Help me update current #'s!

Mine is the same way, and I think the right side lags a little behind the left side. If I set the parking brake the normal 3-3.5 "pumps", the left side will slide the tire but the right will sometimes roll a little. I never tried adjusting the link where they connect at the rear and am not sure it is adjustable, but I make the assumption that there is a little more cable to one side which allows more "stretch".

Well sorta. If you remove the nut on the back of the caliper you can move the lever to the next spline. When the rear brakes were rebuilt I adjusted them so that the disk was just free spinning when the lever was against the stop. This minimizes the level movement to apply. Is better to leave a little loose than to try to make the next spline, when against the stop the rotor must spin freely.