Steering Column Vibration

rhb1999

I have a 1981 Buick Century (rear wheel drive) in number 3 condition. When I am driving at 45 MPH and up, the steering column vibrates or shimmies sometimes. The steering itself is not affected. The center link, inner and outer tie rods, adjustment sleeves and idler arm have all been replaced with NAPA parts. The vibration started several weeks after these parts were replaced.

The first thing I would check, before even driving the car again, is that all fasteners are tight on the replaced parts. Also check the steering box to frame bolts, the flex joint between the steering box and the column, and the shocks. Tires are also suspect. Try rotating them front to back and see if the vibration goes away.

Here's a long shot, but also check the transmission and motor mounts. If one is bad, the vibration may be transmitting to the column thru the shift linkage.

I don't see how the column itself can shake without affecting the steering wheel too. Obviously, it's some sort of sympathetic resonance situation being set up, but if it was that, you should be able to drive through that particular vibration situation at higher speeds. What about tire inflation pressure changes due to recent temperature changes?

Swapping the tires around would be a start, as would making sure the column is firmly bolted to the inner structure of the instrument panel. What about universal joints? Have they been checked OR greased lately?

Does the steering wheel move around on the column any at all? If it does and it's a tilt wheel column, then it might be that the pot metal housing (internally) that's just below the tilt joint might be broken or loose (usually both) and needs some attention. Only people that have been that deep into a GM tilt steering column need to attempt that repair, from what I've seen.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest Shaffer

If I recall- the 1978-1987 (1988 a couple of the models continued RWD thru 88'?)midsize RWD GM cars (Monte Carlo, Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix & Buick Century/Regal have some problems with the steering column parts. At least on the Buicks and Oldsmobiles anyway- but I assume that all had the same column. We eventually had loose steering column problems with our old 85' Regal and my uncle had a similar problem with his old 85' Cutlass Supreme Brougham he had. The steering column would move around, as if it were broken. Something to do with the "tilt" mechanism. Does the steering column move around freely at all when the car is stopped?

Tony, that steering column situation is pretty much "universal" from about the middle 1970s and up, cars and light trucks included. In some cases, customers have related that the upper part of the column turns AND moves around.

From the way that pot metal housing breaks, it seems to be from people pulling the tilt level and letting the wheel pop up against the internal stop when they get out of the car. Most of them will get loose anyway and the popping situation seems to make it worse. If it is just starting to get loose, then you can usually tighten up the screws that hold things together, but you usually end up having to replace that particular casting as it will be cracked on the top. It's pretty thin anyway.

To get to the four screws, you have to take the upper half of the column off at the tilt pivot point. That's definitely more involved than just taking a steering wheel off and changing a turn signal switch. Not to hard if you've been there before and have a few special tools for the tilt pivot mechanism. It's also an opportune time to replace the "rack kit and bearings" in the upper part of the column, plus maybe add a little wheel bearing grease to the bearings for a better feel.

There are many variations (part numbers) for the various pot metal housings, but it appears there can be a lot of interchangeability with them (model and year). I'm not sure if some aftermarket source is supplying "universal" pieces as there are usually some ads in the local papers for "GM Steering Column Repair".

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467