Missing coolant

I just noticed my new/old 90 Reatta is using coolant at an abnormal rate. No observed leaks. I wonder if any of the other Reatta dudes have had head gasket problems in the past? I've already ruined one v6 on my van thinking it was a leak when it was actually being burned (glycol burns like suggar). The plugs are clean and they are all identical and there is a scum/dirt residue in the resivor. The dirt looks like it could be normal for this age and mileage. If anybody out there has an opinion on this problem, I would welcome your input.

Two possibilities I can think of that haven't been mentioned. The intake manifold can erode where the coolant passage connects to the head and if it is small, it may evaporate before leaving puddles, although you would probably smell it. The second would be the sheet metal frost plugs. If you have it up on ramps, you can see most of them from below. The manual recommends a coolant sealer be added as a standard maintenance item.

I think I will buy a radiator checker and try to force a leak. If I find no external leak, I will try a leak down test. I did a search through the threads on blown head gaskets and found very little. Not finding a history of blown gaskets is a good thing. I don't want to do the heads, water pump, timing chain and tensioner yet.

I changed the oil last week and there was no water in the oil and no foam behind the oil cap. I changed out the top radiator clamp because the hose was slow leaking on the intake manifold. That is where I thought the coolant was being used but I noticed this morning that the tank was very low again. Shure hope I'm not burning it.

You mention the 'tank'? Are you refering to the large white overflow tank? How about the radiator?

This brings up an interesting question; should you check and add coolant just to the overflow tank, or to the radiator and overflow?

I have always used the radiator to check/fill the coolant. Coolant is added to the overflow just to keep a 2-3" reserve.

Guest wally888

Wondering!

I always thought, if the thermostat was working properly, engine reaches normal operating temp, you needed only to add coolant to the tank. Taking for granted the radiator was full if there was any fluid in the tank?

About the loss of coolant: I had such a loss and it was water pump but no clues on garage floor, seemed to just leak while driving. I finally managed to smell it. Also one radiator had a small, pin hole crack at the top corner and I just happened to notice a very slight stain there.

Here's my rational. If the pressure in the coolant system reaches the relief on the radiator cap, the pressured coolant will blow into the overflow tank. When things cool down, the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator as the pressure now becomes a vacuum.

But what happens when there's a leak in the cooling system, and there's no blow into the tank? Does a vacuum still get created when things cool down? Does the 'leak' allow air to get sucked in equalizing things?

That's why I always check the radiator; I've seen too many low radiators with liquid in the overflow.

Could also be a leak in the overflow line. As you drive the water expands and leaks but when you shut off it cools and contracs so no coolant is in the line. Try filling the resovoir at night and see if there is a puddle in the morning.

I filled the overflow tank up last night. I didn't see any leakes below this morning. Maybe as I leave on my last day here at the Boeing wide body assembly plant, I will be leaving a large puddle of glycol in the parking lot. Like a dog marking it's teritory.