Motor Codes I need some help please.

I don't know what year this motor is or what it is I know its a Olds. The block cast says 395558 2 and the oil filler code is 1291091. Heads 7 front closer to core support then between 1st and 2nd plug "CFD" next top directly under valve cover "409" and last 147 any help would be cool thanks guys.

The block would appear to be 68 - 70 350 CID the heads look like they are 1971, 350 with 64cc. Here's how to identify small blocks:

1968-later V-8 Engine

Have the last six digits of the VIN number, the year of the block, and the assembly plant stamped on the driver's side of the block below the cylinder head. A 2-letter code on the oil filler tube identified the engine.

You can use the VIN derivative number to ID the year. For 1968 and up blocks, this number is located on a pad just below the cylinder head on the front left side of the engine. This number will be stamped on a machined pad on the front driver's side of the block, just below the deck surface. Typically it will be covered with a power steering bracket or something, below the number one spark plug location.

This number should take the form of "35Mxxxxxx" where: 3 = Oldsmobile division.

5 = year of manufacture (8=68, 9=69, 0=70, ..., 4=74, 5=75, 6=76, etc.).

M = location of manufacture (M = Lansing, B=Baltimore, X = Kansas City, Z = Fremont, CA, etc).

xxxxxx = last six digits of VIN of car that motor originally came in (original car's sequential production number).

The letter indicating factory must match the letter in the sixth position of the car's VIN (it should also, of course, match the factory indication on the body data plate - in other words, for a Lansing-built car, the sixth place in the VIN would be an "M", the body data plate should indicate "LAN", and the third place in the engine ID should also be an "M").

The oil filler tube is stamped with a number that indicates the year and engine unit number. So, 2724927 would break down as follows: 2 = 1972.

724927 = engine unit number.

so the filler on the block is worng as the block states 395558-2 68-70 block and the filler states 1291091 which means its a 71 block or tube right. So would a 71 filler tube fit in the block without causing any problems? I also have a 2nd block same code 395558-2 and the filler tube states 9474371 with #5 heads. I am still a bit confused here. mainly about the filler tubes.

Thanks again

Filler tubes are easily changed and really shouldn't be what you use to date and I.D. the engine block. In fact, a big block filler tube could be used in a small block and vice versa - don't use it exclusivly to I.D. a block. Use the number as described on the block. Heads are pretty easy to swap as well. Possibly someone put a later head on the block due to it having hardened valve inserts.

Don't worry about the filler tube matching the engine. They're all the same and are force fit into the block. They can be removed and replaced pretty easy. Usually, just wrapping a rag and twist-pulling with large channel locks will remove them. Tap them in with a rubber mallet.

The 5 heads are 68-69, 350 CID 64cc.

Here's the best engine info site I've found yet:

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The filler tubes fit all Olds V8 motors from 64-90 including 260, 307, 330, 350, 350D, 400, 403, 425, 455, etc.. Two or Three stampings pretty much covered all these motors.

395558 covers almost all 350 blocks from 64-90, the subscript is the main identifier here. Yours being a 2. We could take from that that the motor was built in 70. Not odd to have a block cast in 70 show up in a 71 car. The date code would be correct for a 71 car. Fundamentally the only difference between the 68-70 motor and the 71-76 blocks was nickel content.

The heads would also be correct for a 71 motor. The 7's were standard and did not have hardened seats. The 72 model year introduced the 7a heads which were the exact same castings as the 71 7 heads but with inductile hardened seats.

Sounds like you have a 71 350 motor out of an early 71 car.

"I also have a 2nd block same code 395558-2 and the filler tube states 9474371 with #5 heads. I am still a bit confused here. mainly about the filler tubes."

This block solidly looks like a 69 350. The block casting is the 68-70 number (and I believe it covers the 68-72 cars in reality) the 5 heads were only used on the 68-69 cars and the filler tube has a 69 date code.

The Olds FAQ is a great resource but it is flawed. I host it on my site as well http://oldsjunction.classicoldsmobile.com/oldsfaq/. If you look closly at the block casting number list on page: http://oldsjunction.classicoldsmobile.co...20Block%20Block you see that the numbers skip right over the 71-72 years and the 75-77 blocks. I will have to confirm this later this evening (after I dig out the block that was in my 72 Supreme) but I suspect 395558-2 covers the 71-72 cars as well.

Hope this helps.

• 15 years later...

Resurrecting a thread from 2003 is not your best bet for getting information, but read through the posts above.  You also don't need to post the same question in two different forums.

While this may be hard to believe, not everything you read on the interwebs is true. This especially applies to the Olds FAQ, which has many well documented errors. This fallacy about Olds 350 casting numbers is one of many errors. 

For the record, EVERY SINGLE Olds 350 block cast between the 1968 and 1976 model years came with the same casting number - 395558 2. That "68-70" BS refuses to die. That same casting number was also used on 1971 motors, 1972 motors, etc, etc.

Second, the number stamped on the oil filler tube is the engine unit number. The first digit is the model year ("1" means 1971 model year). The remaining digits are just a sequential serial number and don't tie to anything else.

Third, as noted above, the VIN derivative stamp is the only way to tell the model year of the block. The VIN derivative is a nine character stamp located on the driver side of the block, near the #1 spark plug. The first character of the VIN derivative will be a 3 for Oldsmobile division. The remaining eight characters will match the last eight of the VIN of the car that motor was originally installed in. This, by the way, is the correct definition of "matching numbers". The second character of the VIN derivative is the model year and will be a "1" for a 1971 motor.  You can find the VIN derivative here:

P1010401-1.jpg

img_20170831_195530868_7b18dade36c4ecb9b

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Bob cacy said:

Ok the number I have under the number one spark plug starts EX74E194 does that make sense

See my response in your other thread. It would be in your best interest to keep all responses in a single thread to avoid confusion.