Rust Encapsulator

WillBilly53

Eastwood told me at Carlisle that it is not designed to go on bare metal, only rusted metal. When I heard this I used POR-15 instead with excellect results as I had everything down to bare metal. Have had the POR-15 on the frame and engine compartment for 3 months of hard use with no problems. As always 90% of the work is in the preparation of the surface to be painted.

I think the surface roughness is more important that the composition of the surface. Nothing will stick to shiny metal, you need to give it some teeth for the paint to hold onto. Rusty or clean, if the surface is rough, either paint should stick to it. I've heard of the POR-15 peeling off smooth surfaces, though it's always worked well for me. I'd say that if you have the Eastwood stuff, it's pretty similar to the POR-15, and that if you rough up the surface with some 60-grit sandpaper on a DA sander, anything will stick.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide and how it works.

I asked 3 people from Eastwood about using the encapsulator for my project and they all said absolutely not. I really wanted to try it but they talked me out of it even when I said I was going over to the POR-15 vendor next. It is true that the more you rough bare metal up the better the paint will stick however both of these paints are fairly thin so you will see the scratch marks underneath. The best way to make paint stick on bare metal is to use a metal etch as recommended by POR-15 and many other manufactures.

The reason you here of POR-15 peeling off is because of poor preparation such as dirt, using lacquer thinner for cleaning in lieu of recommended cleaners, putting on to much or not enough paint, not following directions, etc. Good luck!