How glossy is glossy when it comes to engine enamel?

RoadsterRich

Well I haven't had time to work on the Roadster most of the summer due to family obligations. I'm finally squeaking in a little work. I'm prepping the frame and engine for paint (frame still has those pesky welds I have to dress up, hope to get to them next week). I bought some enamel in the proper color for my engine, the supplier shipped it with Medium Reducer (Dupont 441-21) and with "Super Wet Look" acrylic enamel catylst (Transtar Classic 8105).

For a 1930 Engine block just how much of a gloss should be used? I'm thinking that super wet look will be extremely glossy and not likely to represent the original paint even remotely accurately. What would the proper catylst be? The color is a grey-green (actually Ford Meadow Green), and it is a Dupont paint. I was dismayed to get the super-wet look catalyst from a source that is suppose to be savy about antique cars. In any event I'm looking for input on what catalyst I should be looking for.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,

On the engine Super glossy would be too much, Paint should be above a semi-gloss, but say like a shine you would get from a Rustoleum high gloss, not like a mirror.The engines were painted as cast. For the frame high gloss would be appropriate/correct, and it should be smooth in the area that show i.e. where you can look under the fenders, rear housing etc. Mind you that, all thought these frame were painted over the bare metal they had a nice finish/ shine, it would not be inappropriate to use some filler to cover rust pitting, on parts that show, of course doing this on the frame parts where the body sits, or other hidden areas is a waste of time and money.

As for the dulling of your gloss talk to supplier for some flattening agents.

Hope that helps.

This guy is right on target, remember that all mnfrs, up until the '30's used standard turpentine,linseed oil, pigment mix which had a fair gloss when new, the nitrocellulose laquer used on body panels was quite different and faded with age and UV exposure.

I am also into hit and miss engines,hot air motors and farm tractors and there was/is a disturbing trend in engine "restoration" to fill the casting irregularities with fibreglass, sand everything down with 1,000 paper and shoot 2 part base/clear mixtures on them giving a completely unrealistic appearance, just look at any issue of Gas Engine magazine and you'll see what I mean.

Fortunately there exist examples in original condition that graphically show how they were painted and detailed when new thank god.

Thanks for the great replies. With regards to the engine block, this is what I expected, but wanted confirmation of. I have the good fortune on my frame so far that I have found no rust pitting, mind you I am just now getting to the front 1/3 of the frame, working my way from back to front cleaning and prepping it. My only issues so far are some unsightly welds I need to address.

Rich

Just found it! I have 2 Dyke's but will part with one.

Gimme a call at 631-549-3839 {before 9pm}maybe you can swap me something interesting for it.

Hi, Rich...

I know your question was hashed about over the years.

At the top of the Main Page, click on Search

When the search screen prompts, fill in the blocks:

1-All Forums

2-Word to Search for: Correct Paint

3-Entire Phrase

4-Date Range: All Posts

5-click on "Search"

There was a post titled: 55-Correct Paint on Engine dated 8/24/01, and, others that you can check out.

Regards, Peter J.

Peter,

Thanks for the hint. Believe it or not I actually do take the time to do a search before posting questions. The post you reference, and others I found dealt primarily with color. I did not find any pertaining to the level of gloss one would expect as original on a 1930 Vintage engine block. Perhaps I missed some, I just rechecked and did not find them. I always try a few search terms however with so many possibilities it is easy to miss what one is searching for.

Rich