Trying to get a 1956 Cadillac ...

6219_Rules

Does anyone want to trade a good 1947 Cadillac 6269 for any form 1956 Cadillac in the same condition? I am having to get rid of one car, either the Cadillac or the 1969 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe and I really want at least one classic car. The 56 would be my choice.

Any suggestions, comments?

Please see both cars on the Photo Post under the name Lykeios. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Got one. 1956 Cadillac series 62 sedan, fully loaded. 98000 miles, stored for 8 years in dry covered storage, one family car. Blue with white top. A/C equiped, 6 way power seat, Wonderbarr radio, power antenna (first electric version), fog lights, special interior with padded seats (I am not absolutely sure about this...I will clarify later), and AUTRONIC EYE. The car is a low #3, solid and straight, with little rust (all surface), sealed and dry, with completely intact electrical loom. The car was last driven just before it was put into storage. As of that time all electrical options worked except one window motor.

Since July 4th, 2003 the Oldsmobile is gone. I may sell the 1947 Cadillac 6269 to fund the restoration.

Randall, congratulations on the new Cadillac! I was hoping that you would post something here about the car, and I have followed with interest your questions and comments on the CLC forums.

We will look forward to photos whenever you have some that you can post!

Hi Randall:

Best of luck on your "new" '56 Cad. Great choice for an old car buff - sounds like you, with a little work, will have a great car!

I have followed your various "posts" for some time, and thus know you and your son MEAN well, but you are the first to admit you are not experienced technicians. Please...PLEASE...before you break anything...ASK us ! There is a wealth of technical info. you can access from the guys in here...just ASK ! There is NO such thing as a stupid question about old cars. The only stupidity, is going ahead without utilizing the support we fellow car buffs are more than happy to provide. Yeah..yeah...we have our differences...c'mon..Randall...that pick up truck of yours is a "classic".......? Yeah...right...!

Now... ASK us...I am sure all the car buffs in here feel the same way - we want to help ! I had a number of '50's Cads over the years, in addition to the ones I worked on as a kid when working as a mechanic to put myself thru school. I am SURE there are LOTS of guys in here even BETTER informed on this stuff than I am. All you have to do, is "post" your questions !

From the deepest darkest regions of the hills of Hollis, on far away Long Island, New York......

Dog Spot

Hi Randall :

I read your comments that you havnt "tested the air conditioning yet".

Please do not "test" the air conditioning. It is POSSIBLE that the system is salvageable, but NOT if you start it up without doing a complete "purge and re-charge". If you try and start the compressor up with low refrigerant and/or low refrigerant oil, you will ruin the compressor, spread contaminant thru-out the system, and thus add many hundreds if not thousands of dollars to your repair costs. Any air conditioning shop should be able change the compressor's "front seal", then do a "vacuum purge" and either add the correct amount of R-12 and oil compatible with that refrigerant, or, at some additional expense, change out your hoses for R-134 and compressor oil compatible with THAT refrigerant.

One HECK of a woof of good luck !

Randall, thanks for the photos, and we will look forward to more as the project progresses!

Am I correct in thinking that Cadillac continued to use a trunk-mounted A/C system in '56? If so, does your car utilize clear plastic tubes on the rear package shelf to transfer the cooled air to the passenger compartment?

Yes, that is right! The A/C system is loaded in the trunk. Fresh air is pulled in through small side vents, run through the evaporator and then the cooled (frigid actually) air is passed up through those plastic pipes into the vents that run along side the edges of the roof. There are vents with round jets above each door. The cold falls down on top of you. Its wonderful!!

The cool air is recirculated through the cabin and is sucked in through vents under the rear seat back into the rear compartment evaporator again. Its pretty cool. There are two blowers, one on either side, to move the air. I've always liked the way those tubes looked.

I will put more photos up as I get them. Thanks for the interest. Its nice to share our little joys with friends. smile.gif

well, here i go, making a fool of myself.

not sure if this is the place to post this.

i need to know how the windows are wired on a 1956 deville 4 door. (i think)

the widows are totally dead. can't tell from the manual where anything is.

where is the circuit breaker? where are the power feeds connected together?

the seat is dead too and can't tell if the wiring to the rest of the window circuit is intact. i tried to feed power back through the hot lead on the power seat switch but no luck.

help.

mark confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...